Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a Shorai lithium iron phosphate battery in my Ducati around 2010. It was expensive, but super small and lightweight. I rode it for a year or two, then things happened and I had it in storage for a year. Pulled it out and hit the button and it started right up. I was impressed.
Rode it for a year or two then it went back into unplanned storage. As near as I can remember that was at least 6 years ago. Pulled it out expecting the worst. On a lark I put a meter on the battery and it read 13 volts. Got the keys and gave it a try, and I'll be damned if that battery didn't spin the motor over. Maybe a little slow, but plenty good enough. I'll have to drain the bad gas and probably clean up the carbs, but I was blown away that the battery was fine with sitting for years with no tender, or any charging. I'm sold on these batteries.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,008 Posts
I heard they were good, but not that good.

·
Administrator
28,236 Posts
That's pretty impressive eve if the Ducati doesn't have any parasitic draw. And they don't seem to be terribly expensive.

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
818 Posts
Only if they are compromised internally, and that usually only happens with improper charging or with physical deformation. AFAIK a lithium battery in good condition left on its own is unlikely to fail catastrophically.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aren`t the Lithium batteries the ones that tend to erupt in flames?
gumbyredd
Lithium ion are the ones you see in flames, and as was said, something has to happen to set them off. Over charging, physical damage, etc. This is a lithium iron phosphate. Never seen anything about them going up in flames, but you always have to be aware of anything with high energy density. Even a lead acid will explode if you do something stupid to it. (don't ask me how I know about that 🤡 )

That's pretty impressive eve if the Ducati doesn't have any parasitic draw. And they don't seem to be terribly expensive.
Yeah, the price has come down a bunch, now it's a no brainer for anything that sits around.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I will have to give one of these batteries a consideration if I ever buy another one. Just bought a Decca A.G.M. last year, and I got 7 years worth out of the previous one. By the time it dies, I will probabaly have given up motorcycles, one way or another. Says they are very light, and made in China. Could not find out which battery works in a 2006 Gold Wing. Seem to be comparable in price to a good A.G.M. battery.
gumbyredd

·
Administrator
28,236 Posts
I will have to give one of these batteries a consideration if I ever buy another one. Just bought a Decca A.G.M. last year, and I got 7 years worth out of the previous one. By the time it dies, I will probabaly have given up motorcycles, one way or another. Says they are very light, and made in China. Could not find out which battery works in a 2006 Gold Wing. Seem to be comparable in price to a good A.G.M. battery.
gumbyredd
I found one that fits the GL1800 but it is expensive. Shorai LFX36L3-BS12 Lithium-Iron Battery

·
Registered
840 Posts
Wonder how these work in the colder climates, and with a standard car alternator? Checked out DaveO430 ,web site. Had heard a special battery tender was required.

·
Administrator
28,236 Posts
Wonder how these work in the colder climates, and with a standard car alternator? Checked out DaveO430 ,web site. Had heard a special battery tender was required.
On another site , amazon I think, it showed a Deltron battery tender junior as the charger to use with those.

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500SE
483 Posts
I only buy Lipo batteries now. I'm using one to swap between bikes and cars - 1500, Swift, Bullet, Reliant... it's half the size of the 1500's battery, a lot lighter and spins it over with ease.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,447 Posts
You're joking, right? Aren't those the ones that do burst into flames? They make fire-proof cases to store them in.

I may be looking into lithium. My relatively new Yuasa AGM failed to start the bike this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500SE
483 Posts
You're joking, right? Aren't those the ones that do burst into flames? They make fire-proof cases to store them in.
The shop I go to stores them en masse in cardboard boxes 🤷‍♂️
The batteries are fine unless you put them in a fire or pierce them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts