Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Thinking about Riding "Americas Loneliest Road" (Highway RT 50) Nevada!

Every one say's "Why" , ha !

It's amazing to ride and EndureI'm told, plus if you check in a 3 or 4 Chambers of Commerce, they varify at the end that you made it and give you a "Certificate" "T-Shirt" and "Bumper Sticker" !

look it up on "google" (America's Loneliest Highway) , there's a couple site about doing it on a motorcycle !:baffled:

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

Looks like a fantasit ride to me. But then people are allways asking me why I do things like that. I allways tell them if you have to ask why then you wouldn't understand the answer.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Amen to that "Travelinmays" !!

Why, because it's there !:baffled:

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

Yep it's there alright. I would be concerned about having enough gas between stops. 'Course I worry about lots of stuff.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

fatalattraction wrote:
... I would be concerned about having enough gas between stops. ...
Keep it below 80 MPH and you should get about 225 miles before you hit reserve.

Nice bike

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
Thinking about Riding "Americas Loneliest Road" (Highway RT 50) Nevada!

It's amazing to ride and EndureI'm told, plus if you check in a 3 or 4 Chambers of Commerce, they varify at the end that you made it and give you a "Certificate" "T-Shirt" and "Bumper Sticker" !
Rode it in May, nice ride. A bit straight most of the way but it's a nice 2 laner with a 70mph speed limit. Good pavement. Stop and eyeball the shoe tree. I didn't find it much more lonely than the Extraterrestrial Highway. The Little Aly In in the Groom Lake Area 51 part of the highway is a gas. Reminds me of bars in Alaska. A bit homey but nice folks.

I did run short of gas at the far end but managed to eke out what I had by dropping to 50mph for the last hour. I got 256 miles and put in 5.7 gallons in a 6.3 gallon tank. Not bad. It wasn't necessary, I passed a gas station when I had over half a tank and should have filled then. We were expecting to fill up at a gas station at a cross road near the Eastern end of hwy 50 but when we got there the station had been closed for more than a year. They had a hand made sign on the door that said "gas 25 miles north, 78 miles south." We went south since we didn't want to run 50 miles out of our way. I did envy the big tank on my brother's BMW.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

There's some roads in West Texas you could travel 80 miles and see nothing at all. No other cars, bikes, nothing but desert. I carried a spare gallon of gas on my trip out there, but didn't need it.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

Hey Silicon Sam. I grew up in West Texas (Abilene). I know what your talking about.

If you don't watch it you could run over a rattlesnake or jack rabbit too.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I grew up in El Paso, and once you get out of the city limits, man it's a whole lotta nothing.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

fatalattraction wrote:
Hey Silicon Sam. I grew up in West Texas (Abilene).
Hey fatalattraction:waving:You are getting close to home, I was born in Abilene, grew up in Big Spring, Did you go to Cooper or AHS? Remember those square burgers at Mac Epleans, and Baums drive in over by the old civic center? I spenta lot of time at Ft. Phantom Lake too, my uncle worked at The Fishing Villiage.

Dean

:12red::cool:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
I grew up in El Paso, and once you get out of the city limits, man it's a whole lotta nothing.

Raymond
Hey Raymond:waving:You are not kidding about a lot of nothing, I worked on drilling rigs around the Ft Stockton, Alpine area, from El Paso to Big Spring is oil wells and sand dunes, with Mesquite brush. I am so glad I do not live there anymore.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

Dean, too bad Mac's is gone now. I burned lots of gas cruising around and around. I bought my first boat from the Fishing Village. I guess the Yaw family is long gone by now. A good friend of mine worked there for a long time. I went to AHS. I hear they are thinking about combining the two now since the population is down so much.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

fatalattraction wrote:
Dean, too bad Mac's is gone now. I burned lots of gas cruising around and around. I bought my first boat from the Fishing Village. I guess the Yaw family is long gone by now. A good friend of mine worked there for a long time. I went to AHS. I hear they are thinking about combining the two now since the population is down so much.
Mike, Pappy, Allen and Mrs Yaw are all dead. My uncle and aunt worked there for a lot of years, Jay and ZenaFay. She ran the store and he sold and worked on boats. What is your friends first name that worked there? I bet I know him. I had not heard about the schools combining, I know the lake had almost dried up from drought. It may be better now. Nice to hear from another ole west Texas guy.:)Happy Trails

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I've been to " Hell Paso" I mean "El Paso" several times,lol!

Had some good times there many moons ago!

My question is, is the famous "JJ Arms" still alive or not ?!

Man what an amazing life he had !:baffled:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks for the link!

Use to hear amazing stories of JJ Armes when I was in Texas and other places!

He's the real "James Bond", period !;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.