Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK so I have a question that maybe doesn't fit this forum but I thought I would throw it out here first.

Opening disclaimer: I am not terribly knowledgeable about audio systems.

I have an amp that has both high and low impedance inputs. The stereo on my 1996 1500 is using the high input side. Recently my tape deck stopped working requiring me to decide on a new way to input the mp3 player signal into my audio system. Would it not be possible to input my mp3 player into my amp using the low impedance input? I know that they (high and low impedance inputs) can't be used at the same time but if I shut the stereo off and turned the mp3 player on and only used the mp3 player audio controls wouldn't this work? Are there any risks with doing this assuming it would indeed work? Am I just being too cheap and need to invest in having the mod done or buying a fm modulator?

Oh and I do not use a headset so integration into the bikes audio system isn't a requirement for me.

Any knowledgeable opinions are welcome.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
imported post

If your MP3 player will drive a set of headphones, it will work on the low impedance input to the bike's system just fine.

Headphones are "low impedance" and today they are typically around 30-35 ohms impedance.

High impedance are inputs that impose a lighter load on the source. Typically well above 1,000 ohms.

I think you are good to go with what you describe.

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks!
I was going to test it but didn't want to screw any of it up :gunhead:

I'll check it out soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.