Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know what a good 1200 starter draws in current? starter amp draw test would show___________?
i dont need info on voltage drop, just amp draw.

i did search, maybe i missed it.
thanks

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Old school rule of thumb is 20-25 amps per hole. Four cylinder should be right around 100 amps. I dug out my old VAT40, cleaned the leads so I could tell which was Positive.......My 1200 @12.3 volts cranks @ 95 Amps, dropping the voltage to 10.2. It spins normally. However, my battery has no capacity, so when the voltage drops to @ 10.5 volts, it pulls 126 amps and drags the battery down to 4. I think the rule of thumb applies. I have an '85 on the charger and will test it later and post. I don't expect anything different.

·
Banned
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
glhonda, i really appreciate the effort to answer my question. timely and precise! thank you! once i get things sorted, i plan to install a AGM that is much smaller and lighter than oem. oh, and cheaper!

·
It aint rocket science
3,804 Posts
Normal starter current draw on the 1500 of 110-120A is all I can add.:smile2:

·
Administrator
24,339 Posts
i plan to install a AGM that is much smaller and lighter than oem. oh, and cheaper!

An AGM of the proper size is not smaller or perceptibly lighter than a wet cell battery & normally cost more, maybe not more than one from a Honda dealer though.

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
If your GL1200 has memory for radio settings, memory for a clock, memory for CB channel settings, then there is a very small amperage drain with the ignition turned off.

on a goldwing. ? please explain. are there parasitic drains im unaware of? thanks

·
Banned
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your GL1200 has memory for radio settings, memory for a clock, memory for CB channel settings, then there is a very small amperage drain with the ignition turned off.

thanks for that. means long as i ride everyday, im good?!

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Yes, riding it every day is good for keeping the battery up as well as being good for keeping all the moving parts working. Letting it sit around for a long time unused is bad for a motorcycle, or any other mechanical thing for that matter. Frequent use and good maintenance practices will reward you with many years of good service.

·
Banned
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With batteries, there are powerful, light, and cheap. You only get to pick two.

lol yeah, heard variations of that all my life.

fast reliable cheap, etc.

bought this
https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/539830/00141?quantity=1

claims 190 cca, oem claim 220 cca. little battery maintained 10.3v at starter lug while spinning engine for thirty seconds.waited 30 seconds, went to 9.4 during second 30 second pull. within one minute recovered to 12.6

so now i have a $131 gold wing! :grin3:

·
Administrator
24,339 Posts
I'm having a hard time understanding why you didn't put the proper size battery in it.

·
Banned
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm having a hard time understanding why you didn't put the proper size battery in it.

cause im poorer than oklahoma dirt. recovering from massive heart attack , cant work, denied disability, yada yada. $31 out the door with return policy! this is why i asked questions aboutr starter current draw.

by the time i am finished getting this bike in shape to ride, i will get regular social security and can afford the "correct " battery. so consider this as a test piece. it will also double as a battery to go in another project, i stuffed the drivetrain of a off road 150cc kart up under a old golf cart.

police dont mess with geriatrics running the back roads on a golf cart.>:)

·
Administrator
57,366 Posts
here in Oologah, Oklahoma it has to run faster than 22 mph to require a license plate.

however, if on pavement, you better have running and stop lights.

and with a 36 volt battery bank in my golf cart, i just run on the grass until I get to the post office :grin3:

·
Banned
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
here in Oologah, Oklahoma it has to run faster than 22 mph to require a license plate.

however, if on pavement, you better have running and stop lights.

and with a 36 volt battery bank in my golf cart, i just run on the grass until I get to the post office :grin3:

this should be good for 40mph. wuts a license plate? :ROFL: just honk and wave!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts