Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This time of year, the roads are pretty gnarly in PA. While I'm waiting for fleaBay parts to arrive for the 1500 I'm working on, Ifancy some light reading about our favorite subject - scoots.

I grabbed a book from Amazon, entitled "The Perfect Vehicle, What is it About Motorcycles", and figured I'd warn you good folks about it. Pure and simple: it is false advertising. The flyleaf states it is a book about "the love of motorcycling". It is not. It is a book about the author, Melissa Holbrook Pierson, and her multitude of issues. It is grossly overwritten, wordy, unnecessarilycomplicated and cumbersome to read.This is her first, and hopefully her last book.

Much of the text seems to be a sales pitch for Moto Guzzis, whichis apparentlythe only brand of machine she has ever ridden. You get the whole history of the company, and how the people that ride them areabsolutely wonderful. She even chronicles a few trips she has taken, and how thesespectacular bikes break down constantly.

The only thing I liked about the book was the price. If I hadn't gotten it so cheaply on Amazon, I would really be pissed. Don't waste your cash on this self-serving piece of condescension. It is 240 pages of crap.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

I, for one, appreciate the book report. I also love to read about our favorite pasttime, and don't want to purchase a book not worthy of time or it's price.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I've been dreaming of the day I can go purchase a book of rides from someone we all know here on the forum. :baffled:

It's been a while since I have done a lot of reading, but I'm sure this book would be one you couldn't put down.

I won't mention any names...:cheeky1:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

lostinflorida wrote:
I've been dreaming of the day I can go purchase a book of rides from someone we all know here on the forum. :baffled:

It's been a while since I have done a lot of reading, but I'm sure this book would be one you couldn't put down.

I won't mention any names...:cheeky1:
I will!!!! CJ, where's the damn book???? Winter's good for writing a book , ya know, something besides skiing????:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::action::action::action::action:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,155 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the book report, I am an avid book reader.

My current one is a Richard North Patterson novel titled:
Protect and Defend.

I can heartily recommend this one to anyone who enjoys mysteries, lawyers fighting, medical drama, and high level government "inside deviousness."

Patterson is right along side, Tom Clancy, Dan Brown, and a host of others in the top author's circle.

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
I will!!!! CJ, where's the damn book???? Winter's good for writing a book , ya know, something besides skiing????:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::action::action::action::action:
Hey Baggy CJ has started Click here....

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Wingnumberone wrote:
This time of year, the roads are pretty gnarly in PA. While I'm waiting for fleaBay parts to arrive for the 1500 I'm working on, Ifancy some light reading about our favorite subject - scoots.

I grabbed a book from Amazon, entitled "The Perfect Vehicle, What is it About Motorcycles", and figured I'd warn you good folks about it. Pure and simple: it is false advertising. The flyleaf states it is a book about "the love of motorcycling". It is not. It is a book about the author, Melissa Holbrook Pierson, and her multitude of issues. It is grossly overwritten, wordy, unnecessarilycomplicated and cumbersome to read.This is her first, and hopefully her last book.

Much of the text seems to be a sales pitch for Moto Guzzis, whichis apparentlythe only brand of machine she has ever ridden. You get the whole history of the company, and how the people that ride them areabsolutely wonderful. She even chronicles a few trips she has taken, and how thesespectacular bikes break down constantly.

The only thing I liked about the book was the price. If I hadn't gotten it so cheaply on Amazon, I would really be pissed. Don't waste your cash on this self-serving piece of condescension. It is 240 pages of crap.
I recommend you post this same review on Amazon, to warn off any future potential purchasers.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
imported post

Wingnumberone wrote:

Of coarse if it was a book about how this person went on trips on her Goldwing and it never broke down, then it would be a fine book to read!

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
imported post

If you guys with cabin fever would like a good laugh read a book called "The Moon's a Balloon" by David Niven. Funniest book I ever read.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Another good one, for all my fellow wage slaves is:

"The No A**hole Rule - Building a Civilized Workplace and Surviving One That Isn't" by Robert I. Sutton PhD

This books is the definitive guide to working with, and surviving, Bullies, Creeps, Jerks, Tyrants, Tormentors, Despots, Backstabbers, Egomaniacs, and all other a-holes who do their best to destroy you at work.

When I first picked it up, I thought it was a joke and bought it only for it's title, but there's alot of very good information on how to restructure your workplace into an enjoyable environment through understanding and passively counteracting the jerks you work with.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

:cheeky1:MDKramer wrote:
Another good one, for all my fellow wage slaves is:

"The No A**hole Rule - Building a Civilized Workplace and Surviving One That Isn't" by Robert I. Sutton PhD

This books is the definitive guide to working with, and surviving, Bullies, Creeps, Jerks, Tyrants, Tormentors, Despots, Backstabbers, Egomaniacs, and all other a-holes who do their best to destroy you at work.

When I first picked it up, I thought it was a joke and bought it only for it's title, but there's alot of very good information on how to restructure your workplace into an enjoyable environment through understanding and passively counteracting the jerks you work with.
Did you buy the large print version and read it in the company cafeteria? :cheeky1:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,155 Posts
imported post

going to have to get a copy Mike,

A.hole #1 is my boss :(

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

nobbie wrote:
Did you buy the large print version and read it in the company cafeteria? :cheeky1:
I actually did read it at work, and shared it around a little, and it was discovered that our organization was inflicted with a severe case of "a-hole poisoning", a condition in which an insufferable a-hole has risen to the top, and then proceeded to procreate through the process of hiring people just like herself to fill the positions immediately below her. Those people did the same thing, etc...

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

I wish I would have had that book 10 years ago, might have kept me free of stress and high blood pressure and all that crap.

It's unfortunate that severe a-holism is a prerequisite for rising in most organizations, I don't even want to think about it, I am on a different plane these days, inhabited by Goldwings and stuff.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Huh.... unlike Wingnumberone, who's a good fellow, I found Melissa Pierson's book worth reading..... There's a lot of personal stuff in it, true, but I found some chapters about the history of motorcycling pretty fascinating. Her interview with Robert Edison Fulton, Jr. led me to his book, One Man Caravan -- which everyone should read!

Different strokes for different folks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.