Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I saw an interesting commercial on the tube for Harley last night. This was the first time I saw it and wonder just what their thinking is?

Are they tight and trying to get sales back up again??

The commercial plainly stated, that what ever you pay for a new sportster, is what you'll get on trade in when you trade up.

There has got to be some fine print somewhere. I just can't see you buying one and wearing it out, only to get full price on a trade in.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

I wonder if they will take it back for a trade up...if it was returned in a big box??:cooldevil::cooldevil:

I saw that commercial alot yesterday during the ball games

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Sure, that was the thinking by many for 15-20 years. Everybody knew that Harleys were like an investment or money in the bank. Move up to the Electra Classic or Screaming Eagle.

Even if the Sportster wasn't worth more, you could tap the house for Equity and buy that dream machine.

Unfortunately, mean Mr. Recession (Depression?) and Mrs. Deflation have put an end to all that nonsense.

Believe or not, Harley was producing 1800 engines per day last year in Wisconsin in two plants.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I have rented a full dresser Harley. They are great bikes, really. They cost about the price of a Goldwing.

Unfortunately, I can not afford the new 'Wing or the Harley.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

It is a play on words with a pot of snake oil at a low simmer. Nothing in this world is free, there are no bargains at any dealership, of any motorcycle. A dealership is in the business of making money.
What they are doing is any sportster that is not over one year old, will get the full purchase price credited towards the purchase of certain high end priced motorcycles.

That is the catch. Someone has already financed a sportster, so he really has no real equity in the bike, and upgrades to something like the Harley Ultra. Now the dealership only gives original price, but at the current full trade in value. Study the words trade in value. Boy you have to get up early to get ahead of a salesman. :DPlus the dealer ship now also sells another bike at retail, and also has the monetary reward for the origination of the sale, and if finaced with Harley, the company also now makes more of an return on their money for the interest on the higher value loan.

They are no doing anyone any favors.
Harley-Davidson Guarantees Trade-In Value For Sportsters at Cyril Huze Blog

Simply a very clever way to get you in the front door.

Kit

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
I have rented a full dresser Harley. They are great bikes, really. They cost about the price of a Goldwing.

You don't need to as long as good GL1500s are still available.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

Boy and let me tell you. They are playing it up. Had a co worker go in and talk to them about a sportster. No discount off retail. but will pay him what he paid to trade up within a year.What happens if he ishappy with the bike and doesn't want to trade ( probably won't happen but it could:stumped::stumped:) Too many bikes for sale not to get some kind of discount. We are in a different time then a few years ago.

Oh well, he's looking at hondas now. Maybe he'll eventually get a goldwing:cool::cool::cool:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
sandcastcb750 wrote:

You don't need to as long as good GL1500s are still available.
I would recommend a very high quality used 1800. They have much the better looking headlights. ;) Kit

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

actually the commercial is very legit. after the first 883's came out Harley did the same thing then. a person could buy a Sportster for $3995. then if you moved up to a "Big Twin" Harley you were allowed $3995 trade in value .
a simple case of moving a few number around.

Robin

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

A used harley holds its value they say...My local paper has alot of them for sale.Seems a used harley is hard to sell because they hold their value if that makes any sense..........???...:baffled:

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

redeyes88 wrote:
A used harley holds its value they say...My local paper has alot of them for sale.Seems a used harley is hard to sell because they hold their value if that makes any sense..........???...:baffled:
Yeah, nobody wants to buy a bike with 20,000 miles for $19,000 when for $2000 more, you can have a brand new one with no miles, and nobody else's butt print in the seat.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Until my daughter graduates from the university in May 2010, I can't buy anything new.

The 1500s are nice but seem too heavy for me. The 1800s are said to be lighter but $10K and up. I realize that the GL1100s are old now and I should buy something newer. They fit the bill for the last two years.

I believe there are going to be alot of Harleys (used/new) on the market this year. There is not enough home equity to finance them. Investments and job prospects are questionable too. I am not even going to elaborate how much my investments tanked because everybody already knows about their own.

The "must have" mentality is winning over the "want to have". That is Harley's problem now. Honda will just cut Goldwing production and move to other sectors.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
imported post

Saw some sign to a similar effect at the Int. motorcycle show in Detroit yesterday. Said something about trading up the next year or two though.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Harley's been doing the trade up for years. I remember doing a few back in the 80s. It was a great deal for people starting out on a sporty.

Honda has a simular deal going on, buy a Ruckus for $2200 and you can trade it in for a Goldwing and they'll only change you $2100 extra

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

hello all, here's an update on the ad. a co-worker at disney just trade his year-old sportster on friday. the dealer did ,in fact , give him all he paid for his year old bike. plus they are returning all the money he paid in for the maint contract,extended warranty ,etc

now he's very happy with his 09 fatboy

Robin

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
imported post

What jumped-out at me was the unsafe riding distance, lack of personal protection equipment and sleeveless breezy top the lil' chippie with the savvy smile sported while she tooled the boulevard with one hand on the bars and eyes gazing stage left!
That kinda' crap just keeps feedin' the "murder cycle" image.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

bikeknight52 wrote:
What jumped-out at me was the unsafe riding distance, lack of personal protection equipment and sleeveless breezy top the lil' chippie with the savvy smile sported while she tooled the boulevard with one hand on the bars and eyes gazing stage left!
That kinda' crap just keeps feedin' the "murder cycle" image.
:baffled:

My brother is trying to sell his 99 Harley Sportster as he has fallen victim to the economy. Took a loss in the stock market aparently.

Anyway, he tells me it's the 883, with a "race" cam, low miles, lots of chrome and very fast for a Harley. Now I love my older brother but I wonder about his mind at times.
He is asking 9500 bucks for it and claims it's worth more!
Ahh well!

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

If any dealer, of any vehicle gives you a certain dollar amount for your trade in, then the price of the new unit goes up to recover the trade in. You NEVER get a real "Deal", only looks good on paper. Try this one... go to dealer and see if there is a price tag on the bike you are wanting.(probly isn't tagged).If it has a price posted, then try to make that "trade in" deal, and watch the price start climbing! Just my experience. I never buy new anymore! Let someone else with deep pockets take the beating at the dealer, then buy it a year later when the buyer gets bored with it and sells it! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
imported post

I don't know about anywhere else but around here the Trading Journal is full of Harley s for sale every now and then maybe once a year there will be a wing but even during the summer last year there would be at least 20 each week and in my opinion all way to high.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

If an ultra classic with 40,000 miles is for sale at a high price... (...they hold their value..???????)Who will buy it?NOT I SAID THE BLIND MAN...A used Wing with 40,000...Better get in line...mho

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.