Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I changed my"O" (I refuse to say the word and get a big debate started;)) at the start of the winter storage period to get that old contaminated"O" out of the engine.

The weather here in Kansas is very up and down. A couple of week or so ago, there was ice and snow on the ground and it was in the teens. The past week and a half, it has been in the mid 50's to almost 70 and I could not resist riding. We took a 100 mile trip on Sunday and had a fairly nice time.

My question is, everyone says to change the "O" before storage, but as I said, here in Kansas, the weather is very up and down. What is the maximum storage period that I should be worried about.

EXAMPLE:

If it is going to be really cold where I won't be riding for 2 to 3 weeks, do I really need to change the "O" or will it be ok?

·
Golden Anniversary Rider
83 Posts
imported post

To really answer your question, we need to know what brand and viscosity of"O" you used.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
imported post

Don't worry about it. Enjoy the bike on nice days and change the "O" again when full time riding resumes. All this worry about "O" is unnecessary. Just use good "O" and change it on your schedule. Everybodies schedule seems to be different.

John

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

riding during the winter is not a problem as long as it is enough to warm everything up.... certainly 100 miles does more than enough warming up. Usually I change at the beginning of the winter season, and then again when I start riding seriously in the spring.

of course.. "O"... I expected something with an X

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

We've had a similar weather pattern here at the moment

What I've found is that there seems to be a lot more condensationon the metal parts and the emission box fills with water quite quickly.

This can only mean that theengine must be getting a lot of water in the oil which is easily steamed off with regular riding, but if the bike is stood for a long while the oil degrades and starts internal corrosion of the engine parts.

So I would, if the bike is going to be stood for a couple of months, change the oil anyway, even if it is cheap stuff just for storage, then put the good stuff in for any trips. After all, it only takes 10min to change the oil!

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

JOHNO wrote:
After all, it only takes 10min to change the oil!
Apparently, you don't have the front lower air dam as I have. It takes 10 minutes justto get it off and out of the way. :grinner:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Do what you do with your car, engines are engines. Pretend it's a Civic and go from there.:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
riding during the winter is not a problem as long as it is enough to warm everything up.... certainly 100 miles does more than enough warming up. Usually I change at the beginning of the winter season, and then again when I start riding seriously in the spring.
I was thinking that only long storage periods (ie. 1 to 2 months or more) would tend to hurt things but I wanted another opinion. It is almost 60 here right now and I am considering riding to work.

I did an oil change a few weeks ago but could not resist riding in this nice weather. I have switched over and am now running aFull Synthetic10W30 and am liking it quite well. Seems to have quieted the engine down quite a bit. Usually I can hear the engine running while going down the road. On our trip to OK. on Sunday, I couldn't even hear it running. I had the cruise set on 80 and the tunes coming from the radio and it was very smooth sailing, on the way back that is. (We were bucking the wind on the way down.) Made my small exhaust leak sound even louder...:shock:

I expected something with an X
I don't want to tread on wingdawg101. I'll leave the posting of the X's to him...:grinner:

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

exavid wrote:
Do what you do with your car, engines are engines. Pretend it's a Civic and go from there.:goofygrin:
With our weather patterns the way they are, I don't see it sitting any longer than 3 weeks at a time between rides. I can't resist going for even a short ride if it is half way nice out.

Makes me wonder how I made it 12 yearsbeing without a bike.

·
Golden Anniversary Rider
83 Posts
imported post

2nd picture - had to remove tank and replace. Rode bike 1st time last Saturday. Bike has been sitting in a garage since 1993.

Attachments

·
Registered
462 Posts
imported post

If I change the oil when put in storage,should I also change it before I ride it again in the spring?

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
imported post

Hey Zonk, no, just let me come up and ride it for you...LOL :D

Seriously, if you haven't been starting the bike, I don't see any reason to have to change it. If you feel the need tochange it, I would first store the bike with some cheap oil in it. Then come spring time, put in the good stuff. My bikes are stored in unheated buildings with no problems.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:

of course.. ")"... I expected something with an X
Hey just noticed your Avatar what the heck happened to your Harley.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the harley is doing just fine.... The noise on Beth's bike from the run was the front fender rubbing. the "new" avatar is the '75 frame I have been working on. The rear end has been modified (www.kw-enterprises.com).... it is a slow project (more time than money)

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Hi Chris. I wouldn't really consider 2 or 3 weeks to be a long storage period. If you manage to ride the bike every 3 weeks during winter, normal oil service intervals should be fine.

·
Golden Anniversary Rider
83 Posts
imported post

wingmaster wrote:
Wow and only 13,000 miles? :shock:

How is the rest of the bike?
Very dirty and dusty. Chrome is all good. Just took a good cleaning and a little steel wool and oven cleaner. There are a couple of good scrapes on the right side crash bars. Probably why bike was never ridden after 1993. Title shows bike was bought in 1991 with 5,000 miles on it. Last licensed in 1993.

I rebuilt the rear Brake master cylinder, clutch master & slave, and will clean and polish all the other brake components.

Fuel tank shutoff was in 'Off' position. Fuel pump works. Replaced carbs. Having front forks rebuilt. Fan works. All lights work.

Will replace all fluids, etc. before putting bike to work.

All the LCD electronic stuff worked, radio works. Air compressor seems to be seized.

Alternator outputs 13.8 volts. Stator plug will be cleaned and inspected, as well as all electrical connections.

Ignition switch is being replaced under Honda/NHTSA recall - it is bad.

Plastic is all solid. One bag lid has some scratches where it took a flight along the pavement. Seat is excellent.

Should be finished in about 2 weeks depending on a few odd and end parts coming in from eBay sellers.

...and not to forget - the HORN works!!

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
imported post

You are going to have yourself a very sweet ride when you are finished. Whenever I get my tunes department figured out, mine will serve me for many, many years.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

BRowan wrote:
Hi Chris. I wouldn't really consider 2 or 3 weeks to be a long storage period. If you manage to ride the bike every 3 weeks during winter, normal oil service intervals should be fine.
Thanks Brian. I rode to work tonight and it was really nice. Hard to believe it is the 3rd of January and I am riding with just a jacket and light gloves.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.