·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Why?? any meter can be used to test any fuse.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

RB wrote:
Seriously, that's your answer? The purposes are for more than testing the fuse.

I can pull the fuse out and look at it for that matter.

Why is it you feel the need to determine whether I need something without knowing why I want it.

I'm a big boy. I can make my own decisions.

I'm pretty sure you can travel from A to B on a scooter. Why do you need a Goldwing?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Did you look at matco, mac, and snapon tools sites?

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Just google and Fluke

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Looks like Satan found you a couple, Harbor Freight might even have a store near you. Give them a store locater search... :gunhead:

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

satan wrote:
Wow...

Harbor Fright good enough?
(these meters require a fuse also, I use a circuit-breaker in each of mine - offers protection and allows for a reset)

For MINI fuses: http://www.harborfreight.com/20-amp-automotive-fuse-circuit-tester-67725.html

For ATC/ATO fuses: http://www.harborfreight.com/30-amp-automotive-fuse-circuit-tester-67724.html

Satan-you rock!
SanDiegobrass you also rock! Kinda like the meter one better but be nice to have both eventually.

Thought of Harbor Freight (good enuff for me)-suprised it didn't pop up in my search. Just figured it was something they didn't have.

And thanks shooter, I have a H.F. store right near me. I'll be checking that out.

I just love this place...

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Just checked in stock in Lombard. Oh well I guess I have to go to harbor freight. Damn, don't you just hate it when that happens.:cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

It is not for testing the fuses, its for testing the circuit that a fuse is protecting, to see how many amps are running through that circuit. probably hard to do with a regular meter with the needle type cords.

the first looks easy to do. just get a set of meter cords, cut the testing end and weld a blade male connector and file it to fit the slot of the fuse.
RB wrote:

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
It is not for testing the fuses, its for testing the circuit that a fuse is protecting, to see how many amps are running through that circuit. probably hard to do with a regular meter with the needle type cords.

the first looks easy to do. just get a set of meter cords, cut the testing end and weld a blade male connector and file it to fit the slot of the fuse.
RB wrote:
That'sa neat little device. As William describes it tests the circuit load by substituting for the fuse. I would assume the pulled fuse gets connected in series with the device to prevent an overload.
I have a DC clamp on ammeter that is OK when there is room to get the jaws around the wire.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

nobbie wrote:
William_86 wrote:

RB wrote:
That'sa neat little device. As William describes it tests the circuit load by substituting for the fuse. I would assume the pulled fuse gets connected in series with the device to prevent an overload.
I have a DC clamp on ammeter that is OK when there is room to get the jaws around the wire.
Precisely. Allows you to measure amps easily at the removed fuse position. I had previously made one out of an old 30 amp fuse and cut the probes off some old meter leads soldered to the burned fuse. The 14 dollar Harbor Freight jobbie makes it even easier plus you can read up to 30 amps without a clamp. This way you can troubleshoot right outta the fuse box without removing the shelter. Additionally it's more or less hands free and allows much more ease in use. You can remove the fuse and use same fuse in the side of the tester.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Update...got the tool from Harbor freight and it works great. One thing to note is that the tool is slightly wider than a fuse so you do have to remove the relay above it to get it to fit. Also when testing with my meter across the headlamp fuse I noticed the light did not work and reading was likely innacurate. Using this tool headlight still came on and gave me a more accurate read. This will be a great troubleshooting aid for around $14.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

and i've been waiting for a reason to visit HF,have a clamp on dc amp meter that works but that makes reading separate circuits a charm

HF is 90 miles away and just checking that they have $6.99 shipping till the 31st so will be ordering one in a few minutes,much easier than a 4 hr drive,cheaper than gas too

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
imported post

That would have made life over the past month or so, a lot easier!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.