Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I was at our local store today and there was the usual grouping of bikes out for their long 50 mile rides.

An assortment of Goldwings, BMW's, Harleys and crotch rockets.

Out of the blue came something I can barely describe. Sad thing is normally I would have my camera, but not today.

It started off I believe with one of those Honda's that have the Harley type engine in it. That's where it ended.

This guy had taken every thing from the where the swing arm attaches and got rid of it. The steering head was still the orginal frame as was everything where the motor attached. He said he did that to keep agravation with the DMV down to a minimum.

From there on he made a custom frame with a side car theme, but the rearend was more in line with a trike.

With all this changing, he ended up with a good looking custom bike, low sitting side car seat and all the tires used mazda rims and tires.

Handle bars were attached to a shaft & U-joints down to the side car frame work, then to a car type front tire A frame with a large steel spring to give the frontend travel.

The gas tank had been removed and was now part of the side car. It looked well made.

He said he only had it on the road for about a month now and was working all the handling bugs out of it.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,500 Posts
imported post

Wow,

get that camera and follow him home!

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

Was this guy on a wheel chair?, i've seen lots of funny motorcycles like the one you described that guys on wheelchairs use to keep riding.

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

Was it CJ ???:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

No camera? Not even on the cell phone?

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a fishin' story! :cheeky1::action:

John

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Nope no camera and don't carry a cell phone.. But the story is true, honest.
And no he wasn't in a wheel chair.
I'm aggravated at myself for not taking time to look at it alot closer.
But I was getting annoyed at waiting for a half an hour for someone to discuss some work I'm doing for them.
I can't remember if this thing was chain drive or some drive shaft.
I don't think I saw any brake on the front wheel either, but could have just missed it.
With some more work, it could be a really sharp looking ride.
I'm sure as he works out the bugs in it he'll add some kind of fairing around the side car.
That's not even a good description, but I'm not sure what to call it.
Can you still call it a trike when the wheel spacing is two in line and one off set even though both rear wheels drive?

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
imported post

I have a local guy around here that rides a tri/car. It is a Hanigann trike with a side car. Looks a little different at first. It is a trike from the left side. From right it has no right rear trike wheel, but move forward about 12" an there is the wheel for the side car. It is a GL1500 He has had it for several years and puts lots of miles on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.