Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, thought id toss up some progress pictures. Getting close to being able to fire it up. This was an 85 injected/ computer engine. Now its a progressive 2 barrel weber and firing off the back of right cam with a vw distributor. A couple questions, one is what is the silver thing on top of engine with braided wire and also is the nipple on top left by cyl 4 a water connection?
Plans are to put this engine in an import mini truck.
IMG_20200425_101735742.jpg
IMG_20200425_101533884.jpg
IMG_20200425_101556608.jpg
IMG_20200424_130045199.jpg

Thanks!
Tim

·
Administrator
25,337 Posts
The thing with the braided line is an oil pressure sensor, not sure what it's purpose is, also the sensor on the right rear is an oil pressure switch. The Nipple by cyl 4 is the crankcase vent.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Neutral switch is inside

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha! Maybe you answered another question i have. Coming from the front of the engine a black cloth wrap group of wire (3-4) go into the engine kinda underneath in between the belt cover back and front of lower engine case. Question is, what is it for? Neutral /overdrive?
Is overdrive basically 5th gear?

·
Administrator
25,337 Posts
Ha! Maybe you answered another question i have. Coming from the front of the engine a black cloth wrap group of wire (3-4) go into the engine kinda underneath in between the belt cover back and front of lower engine case. Question is, what is it for? Neutral /overdrive?
Is overdrive basically 5th gear?
That is the gear position switch harness. It goes to the dash display to show the rider what gear it is in, to the starting system and the engine control module, none of which you will use except maybe for the neutral safety (if you want to lawyer proof it).

·
Premium Member
12,728 Posts
Not to answer your questions but give kudos for the distributor adaption as well as the alternator and intake. You may have some icing problems with the intake runners. That seems to be a common problem on single carb conversions.
Thanks for the update and photos. I appreciate you keeping us in the loop as you build.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
With the cams turning half the rpm of the motor how did you work out the firing order

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Or correct answer is it takes the crank 2 revolution to the cams 1. So by the time the engine has rotated the cam one full revolution, the engine has made its complete cycle and back ready to fire #1 again.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
thanks,just recalled the early Goldwing using the cam to fire the engine👍👍

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
What are u going to use the engine for.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Your doing a fantastic job on it,
I suspect that same ignition would work on a motor that is in one of the bikes that has a failed fuel injection and would need a carb rack, probably work with one of the early Goldwing points system?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Your doing a fantastic job on it,
I suspect that same ignition would work on a motor that is in one of the bikes that has a failed fuel injection and would need a carb rack, probably work with one of the early Goldwing points system?
You could use an early goldwing plate Id bet and 2 coils. Or A new vw dist is $30 and a little fab work, add a car coil and some plug wires and blammo, no computer needed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts