Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys I would like to install a nice fairly accurate Volt meter guage in the fairing of my 84 Any suggestions as to what type Analog or Digitaland whichbrand I should go with?

Thanks for your responce

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

welcome to the forum mike, go digital, there will be someone along shortly to point you in the right direction for one

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

Hi Mike, I installed a Voltmeter in my '84 Wing ,analogue VDO brand (Worldwide name?)but bought over in the Gold Coast of Australia whilst on holiday mainly as it looked similar in appearance to that of the instrument cluster, and installed it in place of the non-existent clock unit,(to the right of the (also currently non-existent) radio, using an old (damaged)part of a CB radio cover to keep similar appearance, can email images to you if you supply your email address, and o/k by this site to do so, very happy with the end result.
Cheers,

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

Chrome LED Volt Meter

Price:

$38.00

Item: B13-303 Show Chrome
Details:
This is a chrome LED volt meter. It is designed to show voltage from 11 to 15 volts in 1⁄2 volt increments. It has 10 LED's in 5 different colors. It measures approximately 2 1⁄4" by 1" and attaches with double sided tape.

I fitted this to my 1500 got it from Cyclemax.

Terry

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

tricky wrote:
I mounted my gauges in the useless right lockable pocket lid.

Hey, Tricky, I've been thinking about a temp gauge like that for my 1100. Where did you hook it up to get the reading from? Same sensor the stock temp gauge runs off of?

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I have stock Honda volt gages with burned out/weak lighting. If I had the chance, I would like a lighted meter for nightime riding.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I have done the same as Tricky on my 1800 in the right pocket. I actually prefer the needle gauges for many reasons.

One is when the bike is at idle, I can tell if my headlight modulator is on or off, especially if I have turned it off at some point out of courtesy to a driver at a long stop light or in a group ride, the needle will fluctuate with the modulation of current.

The Honda needle gauge is also heavy duty and waterproof and will last for a long time as it was made to withstand the pounding of watercraft actually.

I can tell if there is a short to ground in a wire harness, at idle it will gradually fall to the low side, and with a bit of rpm read full.

Needle gauges have many advantages over digital, that is just my opinion, and yours may well differ, but my old marine Honda gauge is now on its third bike, still going strong.

Kit

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

I put my anolog meter down at the bottom left side of the fairing, as I could not see any other place to put it. It is in the triangle piece of platic at the very bottom of the fairing on the left side and when I look at it I can tell by what position the needle is at, as to what the charge is. It has a backer light and I can just glance at it. I would think that the digital would be harder to read o the go at night. And of course that depends on how large the readout is too. :)

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
tricky wrote:
I mounted my gauges in the useless right lockable pocket lid.
Hey, Tricky, I've been thinking about a temp gauge like that for my 1100. Where did you hook it up to get the reading from? Same sensor the stock temp gauge runs off of?
I purchased the gauges from the local NAPA dealer in Ontario, you should have no problem getting them, JC whitney stock them. They are made, imported, handled or distributed by Iequus 7262 - 2" Chrome Electric Water Temperature Gauge

The gauges come with their own sensor however although the kit provides several sized adapters and crush washers they are not metric.
They have a metric kit that you can order and one size fits the 85 1200 I would imagine it would fit earlier models too.

You need to provide a piece of wire, the best being the hi temp cloth type insulated type, I got a piece from an old electric stove. and put a bullnose connector at the fairing onto a regular piece of wire to the gauge.

Dont use any thread sealant on the adapter or sensor, the sensor is a tapered pipe thread and the crush washer seals the adapter to the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I like the analog marine gauge put out by Honda. It has Honda stenciled on the gauge. Honda Marine has a whole lot of gauges ~$15-$20.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:

The Honda needle gauge is also heavy duty and waterproof and will last for a long time as it was made to withstand the pounding

Needle gauges have many advantages over digital, that is just my opinion, and yours may well differ, but my old marine Honda gauge is now on its third bike, still going strong.

Kit

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You guy's are Awesome!

Thanks for all your suggestions and ideas, I decided to go with the Honda Marine Analog guage thats black, backlit and fog proof.

The right glove box idea is great and looks real good but I have a empty space where the dash clock is missing so Im going to copy grouty's setup and mount mine there.

The digital guages look nice but if they read anything like my digital volt ohm meter does when I hook it to the battery it's a bit too busy for me plus I have analog factory guages on my dash so the digital guage would look out of place on my old bike.

Thanks again for all your help guys

Mike

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
One is when the bike is at idle, I can tell if my headlight modulator is on or off, especially if I have turned it off at some point out of courtesy to a driver at a long stop light or in a group ride, the needle will fluctuate with the modulation of current.

Can't you see that on your high beam indicator? I can on both my 1200 and my 1500. The high beam indicator modulates slightly with the modulator operating.

I like the little LED guages myself, like T.Hambley posted. Easy to see even in bright sunlight and very small so you can put them just about anywhere.

Also FYI, if you hook up to your accessory jack on your fuse block, the voltage there will be slightly lower than what it's reading at the battery. I hooked mine to the battery through a small relay triggered by the accessory jack,so it reads the battery voltage better.

John

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

sorry didn't see the Question Best is just hook to aux terminals and then start bike measure battery voltage with digital meter and note difference ( if any) and away you go !!! Direct sunlight does not exactly bring out the best but easy to shade momentary with you hand

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.