Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... through fate one of the GL1100's found its way back to my possession, and it happened to be the one my neighbors wife gave to me when he passed a way. Fate has a sense of irony, I guess world is telling me its time to rebuild it and keep it.

I've got plans to make this a bobber/café/whatever else you want to call it. Just strip off the big goofy stuff and more or less make it what I want it to be.... I'm drawing inspiration from several bikes online buy there isn't really a category for what I want to do. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or is that beer holder?... I forget. I'll probably be in here asking a bunch of silly questions so bear with me, my first Honda build.

Technical Gremlins:
1) The clutch- when running and put into gear with clutch in, it jolts and then stalls. I haven't ruled out the electronics yet, but since the bike was not running when I got it I can't rule out anything.
2) Tach is possessed. Not only does it not even have a cable connected to the motor, but it spins slowly all the way around like the second hand on a clock. I have the whole thing pulled apart and rebuilding now, any pointers welcome.
3) Brakes- BOTH front and rear are giving me crap. Brand new Galfer lines, lever, reservoirs F&R, pistons and seal kits F&R, pads, rotors, and ZERO brakes. Working on the master cylinder now. I've rebuild brakes before but this is crazy. Broke my finger trying to dislodge a fused piston. Lesson learned. when using 100PSI air, do not have your finger in between the caliper and the piston.. for the ones that air wouldn't even touch, I used grease.

Some pretty cool scores so far:
1) Brand new front wheel, still in Honda's sealed package, really wanted spoked wheels but that will have to wait
2) All brand new OEM badges from Honda, not reproduction still sealed in package (though I'm not sure if I will even be using them at this point)
3) A TON of chrome, from a warehouse in Texas still in its 1980's packing

Desperately seeking:
2000-01 Honda CB600F Hornet Left Fuel Tank Decal Emblem 87122MBZE10ZA (saw one on eBAY but $$)
2000-01 Honda CB600F Hornet Right Fuel Tank Decal Emblem : 87121MBZE10ZA

cheers and look forward to hearing everyone's advice (and also look forward to the community) I hope to go to some events, shows and just overall getting to know what looks to be some really cool people.

some pictures below, the first 2 are "day 1" and the one by my truck is "today"

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,362 Posts
If it has been sitting I bet the clutch is stuck. After you get brakes start it, get rolling and put it in gear,. pull in the clutch and stand on the brakes and twist the throttle at the same time.
If you haven't done the master cylinders yet that's probably where the problem is.
I would throw that ugly Vetter away and put it back to being a standard if it were mine.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Send the stock exhaust down the road,if u ride it alone,ditch the seat,like Dave said make it standard.heres my 82

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
To release a stuck clutch: If you have good clutch pressure on the handlebar lever, put it on the center stand start it in gear rev up a bit and slam on the rear brake with the lever pulled in

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
24,362 Posts
Send the stock exhaust down the road,if u ride it alone,ditch the seat,like Dave said make it standard.heres my 82
From what I can see his exhaust looks solid and it has a stock seat.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To release a stuck clutch: If you have good clutch pressure on the handlebar lever, put it on the center stand start it in gear rev up a bit and slam on the rear brake with the lever pulled in

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
I did manage to get it up on the center stand, I put it in gear and it starts to move the back wheel immediately when put into gear.. made some adjustments on the cable itself (tightened it just about all the way) and now when I pull the clutch it does stop rolling in first gear, which is a good sign. But it still won't shift into second and that trick only lasts a few tries- from what everyone said I need to keep working it, but it looks more promising. I was hoping to not have to mess with the clutch plates, etc. but the back tyre will be off soon anyways so I can take a look then.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do have a Delkevic full exhaust (with the removable baffles) that is ready to go in and though I will be retaining the stock seat for long trips, I have this one to go on for around the town riding, its lower profile.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do have a Delkevic full exhaust (with the removable baffles) that is ready to go in and though I will be retaining the stock seat for long trips, I have this one to go on for around the town riding, its lower profile.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL, great minds think alike... scroll down a bit to see the pics of the new seat an the new exhaust in my last reply.

The only other things I plan on changing (aside from the paint) are:

- Handlebars, went with more of a lower profile handlebar setup, (not café, just lower than stock) I'm a shorter guy and these fit me perfectly
- Paint, I absolutely fell in in love with the color of my car, called Jazz blue so I've taken that color code to the paint shop and the tank, fenders and side panels will be that color with black in the center of the normal pinstriping (possibly silver and gold striping)

That's about it, a ton of chrome on the rest, with some minor deletes.

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,362 Posts
Update, the clutch is working but only in first gear. I'm assuming the plates are stuck
The clutch doesn't know what gear the transmission is in, if it works in 1st it works in all gears.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Making good headway! This is a how she sits today. Tearing into the front end and working my way back. Forks coming off next, for paint and new seals. New handlebars on just for mock up.

Yes, what you are looking at in the first picture is a brand new wheel/tire/brakes that have NEVER been on a bike :) The wheel is NOS, and mounted the tire and brakes yesterday.

While I am waiting on parts to arrive I tore into the non functional gauges... the face plate had fallen off and was just sitting inside the gauge cluster, had to crack the seal to repair it. Put some PB Blaster in the cable hole and hooked it up to a drill and I'm now I'm seeing RPM's! Replacing all of the lights while its apart with some LED ones (for the non sensor lights) both gauges should light up blue on the bottom and white on top. I'll post pics when its done.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I built the exhaust on my 82 out of 90 degree pipe from auto zone,it was 4 into one,had some issues of a flat spot in the rpm range so I made some metal plates with different size holes in them To go in the muffler ( GXSR 1000 Suzuki)flange and found the right size holes to clean up the rpms,it would turn 10,000 easy.fun to ride but scare the crap out of one at over 100, just wasn’t stable but was fast in a drag race,weighed less than 500 pounds.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just a progress update...

Ripped apart the gauges and repaired the tach, painted the backplate, installed new seals & backs and upgraded to all LED lights. I had to "tone" down the neutral light and add a dummy for the air shock warning light. I went with blue bottom lights to match the theme of the bike.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts