Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Having changed my head gaskets 'cos I thought they were blown (water in oil),

and now the water pump 'cos it had expired big time and was about to start drilling it's way out of the bottom of the front case (phew -just in time),

I started the bike yesterday - Excellent! :clapper:

Then I stopped it (once everything was hot) and it won't start again. :X

The starter motor is just spinning (very well) and there's not evena clunk as it stops. I had expected the new oil to become contaminated as when I last drained it, it was third oil, third water and a third "goo" and it came out mucky but not as bad as I'd expected.

Having removed the starter motor and had a look there is still a lot of creamy oil all around the starter chain and I'm guessing that's what's holding in the rollers.

I'm loath to pull the engine, does anyone know any magic stuff I can squirt up there that will disperse it?

:11black:

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Graham, I've read this on similar threads here. The common cure seems to be to mix some engine flush with cheap light oil to clean out the gunge, then run the engine for a while (push start for you) and then refill with lighter (15W) oil. Its worth a shot.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Budegan,

Thanks for that.:clapper: I could kick myself!

The bikes up on a work bench and I've been fixed on the idea of starting it with the motor :gunhead:Never occured to me to roll it off!

She starts easily so it shouldn't be a problem once I've enlisted some muscle.

Do I qualify for some sort of plonker award?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Graham B wrote:
Budegan,
Thanks for that.:clapper: I could kick myself!

Do I qualify for some sort of plonker award?
Not even near! We have much more serious incidents of self incrimination than that on this forum!

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

If you put the bike in 1st gear, try and drag the bike back until the engine moves slightly, it may engage the starter clutch enough. (It's a trick I have heard of, but haven't had to try.)

Also, Seafoam (if you can get your hands on it in the UK) mixed with the motor oilwill loosen the glop.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Tried engaging various gears to no avail.

I've never heard of Seafoam in the UK but I'll have a hunt. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Well we've bump started the old girl, warmed her up, gave her some engine flush, run her some more and drained it out three times now. :clapper:

The good news is that she bump starts easily and the oil is coming out nice and clean. :waving:

The bad new is that the starter spins away nicely without a trace of a clunk or anything engaging.:crying: Given up for the day now and left everything to drain. Doesn't look like I can get Seafoam in the UK but I'm off to a show/autojumble tomorrow - you never know.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Just a thought, when you pulled the starter motor and replaced it, did you do it on the side stand?

if you didn't maybe your starter motor is not actualy turning anything but it's self!!!

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Hmmm,

I think I'll pull it again just to be sure. The worrying thing is that it worked a number of times to start the bike and get it hot but not since.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

No good. 100% certain it's the starter clutch.This is an 1100 Interstate any tips on engine removal please?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

1000, 1100, 1200 remove all the same. you have to remove the radiator, carbs, drive shaft, mufflers etc and it pulls out the left side. mostly a VERY time-consuming job. while you are their you might as well replace the clutch, timing belts, and anything else that needs normal replacement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.