Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was tossing the idea of doing a app for the android phones for the site. I tried to do a few tonight but can't seem to figure it out. If anyone has an idea of how to make one and there's enough interest in it, might be a cool option to have out there.

again just a thought

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
Seems like a good idea to me.

·
Ornery Old Cuss
308 Posts
Sounds alright. First what will the app do? Second can you code? Third you know that android is linux based, correct? Third when you script the app, be sure to include a GL posting. Be sure you have a FTP for the binaries as well as the compiled app. I think that's a start.
Good Luck.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
Do you mean an app or an icon Andrew? There is already an icon available for the site, I think wingnut junior made it. Send him a PM and see if he can help.

·
Administrator
57,671 Posts
He means an app that is specifically designed to make reading forums easier.

They are available for other forums, I have tried one and it makes reading threads much easier with a limited screen size.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds alright. First what will the app do? Second can you code? Third you know that android is linux based, correct? Third when you script the app, be sure to include a GL posting. Be sure you have a FTP for the binaries as well as the compiled app. I think that's a start.
Good Luck.
:wtf: ........ :?

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,838 Posts
There is already and App for this purpose, Tapatalk, but the forum admins have to enable/install it. AZgl1500 said it was in the works but as of a couple of days ago it still was not showing up as enabled. I haven't tried it since then. I'm already using Tapatalk on 3 other forums, SCUBA related.

John

·
12,838 Posts
Thank you! :) They have a free version for the forum too, or paid versions for more bells and whistles.

John

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
will have to check that out

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
The free version is "Read Only" as far as I know :?

·
12,838 Posts
The free version is "Read Only" as far as I know :?
There is no mention of this on either their pricing or FAQ pages, and in fact, in the FAQ's they talk about a user being able to upload photo's directly from their phones. :waving: If you are talking about the client app then then I'm 100% sure that's not true. As I mentioned, I use the client app on 3 other forums and have no trouble posting.

John

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
I'm too stupid to own a "smart phone", but am all the richer for it.:waving:

·
Administrator
57,671 Posts
Okay, got this back from Wingmin,

Use the Android app supplied by motorcycle.com, it is free.

He says that TapaTalk does not respond to trouble issues and their tech support is not 24/7

·
12,838 Posts
My iPhone is actually the first smart phone I've owned, and I just got it last month. I've resisted because of the mandatory data plan, but since the cell companies are now requiring a data plan on anything but the most basic phone I bit the bullet. We got one for my wife too, and rearranged our plan and actually are paying less than we were paying before the smart phones.

John

·
12,838 Posts
Okay, got this back from Wingmin,

Use the Android app supplied by motorcycle.com, it is free.

He says that TapaTalk does not respond to trouble issues and their tech support is not 24/7
Well this is interesting, but so far useless. I went to motorcycle.com and then searched for the app, since it was not obvious on the home page. It then told me the iPhone app was in the Apple App Store, so I went there and downloaded it. First time I opened it, it hung for about 15 seconds then crashed. I opened it again and immediately went to the settings menu and changed a couple of things. I then went to look at the list of forums to go to this forum, goldwingfacts.com is not listed and you can't type the URL in. So I went into the "About" page in the App and it has some buttons for "Tell A Friend", "Feedback to MO Free", "Remove Ads", and "Download Tapatalk". Interesting that they have a link to download the app I was talking about anyway! OK, so I click the feedback button and email them that goldwingfacts.com is not listed in their forums so I can't use it. After sending that it returns to the About page and I notice this text, "The Motorcycle.com App, in partnership with Tapatalk, empowers the members of the Motorcycle.com Network to access content and Forums on-the-go." So, what wingmin told you is bogus. They are already using a custom version of Tapatalk with their custom mobile App. They just haven't turned it on for goldwingfacts.com yet. It is very irritating when you can't count on a straight or true answer from an admin, and I'm not talking about you John or any of the original Saunders forum mods, I'm referring to the new ones we inherited with mc.com!!

John

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
There is no mention of this on either their pricing or FAQ pages, and in fact, in the FAQ's they talk about a user being able to upload photo's directly from their phones. :waving: If you are talking about the client app then then I'm 100% sure that's not true. As I mentioned, I use the client app on 3 other forums and have no trouble posting.

John
Right you are John, I found this info but not realizing it's from 2010

http://androidforums.com/htc-hero-sprint/52120-what-tapatalk.html

·
12,838 Posts

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.