Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a coolant change yesterday, and all went well. Coolant drained was pretty clean after a year. When I finished with an oil change, I started the trike up,(99 1500SE trike), bringing it up to temp. Then, on the left side, a puddle of coolant was accumlilating under the frame. Panic struck, and I shut her down! After a couple hours seriously seaching for a cause, I found absolutely nothing leaking.??? Warmed it up again today, and still nothing. The res. dip stick was spot on. Any ideas where this mystery coolant came from? I don't remember spilling a drop, as I used a good funnel. jimsjinx

·
Loyal member
276 Posts
I had the identicle thing happen after a water pump install.It had to much fluid in it and out the overflow it came,just a small puddle then it was finished.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
When you first filled it up with the new coolant did you run it for a bit with the radiator cap off to expel any air locks? If not, any air could have pushed a little coolant through the overflow as suggested above.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Make sure the top grommet/tube in the reservoir isn't all rotted and nasty. If so, it will leak when coolant is exchanged from pressurized system and back. Once enough is missing from the rad it will stop leaking. Even though this situation causes the coolant in the rad to be a bit low, it doesn't seem to cause overheating so it can easily go unnoticed.

·
Administrator
27,930 Posts
Just a tip, use good coolant i.e. genuine Honda from a car dealer and it is good for 5 years.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Why do you change coolant every year ? Just curious, because most all say they are good for 5 years. And yes a little puddle could of shot out of the over flow if you had an air pocket in there.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Just a tip, use good coolant i.e. genuine Honda from a car dealer and it is good for 5 years.
I believe the genuine Honda coolant sold by the car dealer is the same as that sold by the motorcycle dealer or am I incorrect?

Here the prices for the same product are greater at the Honda car dealer than at the Honda motorcycle dealer for those I've checked so it does pay to check before assuming.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
There have been others who have said they change every year. Also others who change every 2 and so on. Every 2-3 sounds good to me, but it is a matter of preference, like changing motor oil more often than recommended.

I think you could use other brands of antifreeze, should be designed for aluminum engines and silicate free.

Ride Safe!

·
Administrator
27,930 Posts
I believe the genuine Honda coolant sold by the car dealer is the same as that sold by the motorcycle dealer or am I incorrect?

Here the prices for the same product are greater at the Honda car dealer than at the Honda motorcycle dealer for those I've checked so it does pay to check before assuming.
In the US you can buy it by the gallon at the car dealer but it comes in quarts at the motorcycle dealer, at a higher price of course.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
In the US you can buy it by the gallon at the car dealer but it comes in quarts at the motorcycle dealer, at a higher price of course.
Yes my motorcycle dealer does have the quarts but also the gallons and the gallons there are cheaper than what the car dealer wants.

As I said it pays to check.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad you guys are thinkin like me! I thinks I put too much in the res., and the radiator was full, so it pee'd out the exess. I use Dexcool with no silicates, and it works for me. I changed it because I had a gallon if Dexcool 50/50 in the shop. Man, it's raining cats and dogs tonight. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
A former employer of mine sold both Honda auto and motorcycle and stocked both types of Honda brand coolant. The motorcycle stuff was green and the auto was blue. The auto stuff claimed it was 5 year coolant but I could find no such claim on the motorcycle packaging. The maint. guideline recommends changing motorcycle coolant every two years. I just used the auto stuff and told customers they were due in five years. For all I know it's the same stuff in both packaging with different dye added. To get the typical owner to swap out coolant every two years is not easy...but five years is reasonable.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do it every year for selfish reasons. I don't want to R&R my waterpump!!! LOL jimsjinx

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
Any silicate free brand is good.
Unless you are using a 'long life' coolant, most auto books advise changing it every three years/30k miles if memory serves.
Keep in mind- I bought a new radiator for one of my rigs that came with a 'lifetime' warranty. The warranty was only valid if the cooling system was flushed annually.
On the 'Wing I usually do it every other year or so.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
What about using prestone???
As stated, some 'car' coolants have silica to help keep the systems free of corrosion build up. It has been noted that those types can hurt systems not designed for it, and are blamed for the short life of GoldWing waterpumps. That said, I have had Wings that have had Honda coolant their entire lives still have waterpump failure at lower miles.

I ONLY run Honda coolant in my Wings, it does not cost that much more.

Bill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.