Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..purchased for $300.00 as a parts bike for my others. A late model '77 bike.
Untouched from it's last ride more than a decade ago.
5 Years in the garage, 5+ more outside behind it.

Old fella got sick and it got parked. Told his son the motor was "locked-up". Only thing missing is the fuel line from the tank to the pump. The son don't know squat of bikes. Old man kept him from riding it. haha

Stripping it down and checking it out.
Went through front-end and put it on the daily rider '78.
Soaking the cylinders now.
Shifts.
Exhaust looks good. May use on another bike.
Pulled belt covers. Belts not broken. Idler is rusty but should clean up.
...more to come.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice find for $300. How and where did you find it? What shape are the tach and right fork ear? If it ends up just as parts bike like you said and if you aren't in need of either one, would you sell the tach and the right chrome fork ear. I'm in need of these for my 77.

thanks
dhall

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
It sure is nice to see something like that being used to resurrect others rather than just rotting away.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spotted it in a backyard one day. I'm always looking, ...keeping an eye out for hopefuls. The daily rider was needing work and parts were getting wore-out. My last parts bike, another '77, was scavenged down to nothing between myself and others so a replacement for it this is. After looking the front-end over I saw that work had been done to keep it up. Changed the fork oil and flushed the brake fluid (only calipers from the donor/parts bike were used). Even running the tire that was on it.

The ears and tach appear fine. I'll have to look closer at them. But yeah, you can have them if you want them. I don't need them.

If the motor ends up being good (rings break free, etc., etc..) I might make another test engine on a more dedicated, permanent stand. Been thinking of something special.

I've other parts bikes I could go look at. Nowhere to put them though... Probably safe where I see them sitting.

I'll get some more pics up.

PS - I'd rather use refurb'd factory parts than new aftermarket parts. Starter solenoids are a recent example. Hard to match the quality and fit of Honda parts for a Honda bike.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Looks like you made a great find there!

If you find a decent 1000 parts/rebiuldable bike cheap and don't need it, let me know.
I don't have a 1000 yet LOL

After hauling back the 1500 parts bike behind my 1500 I'd have no worries of hauling a 1000 now LOL
Be a good excuse to ride around SD. a bit.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cylinders broke free easily. Cams started to rotate. I stopped after a couple inches of cam rotation. Wanted to keep oil in the cylinders. Rolled it back. I'll let the oil sit for another couple/few days. Will start with other fluids in the mean time. Bring all the usual maintenance up.

Encouraged, I began cleaning and inspecting.

1,2,3 > After using a plastic bristle brush with 3in1 oil for some cleaning.

4 > Gaspring gas/air shocks from another parts bike.

5 > Belts are good enough to get it running with no load on them. Will need to clean idlers before firing.

I think it was kept up pretty well until the time it got parked a decade ago. I also think it was left nearly untouched the entire time. From inside the garage to outside against it for 5 of the 10 years. Uncovered.

Attachments

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Headlight bucket ears appear fine but dirty.

Attachments

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is the daily rider.
The badges are pretty rare. From the '80's.
No other badges on the bike but those.

Attachments

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm. Not actively trying to sell anything. Just posting of my adventure with a parts bike.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fired over and running.
All original and unmolested.
Three wire stator plug looks as good as the rest of the plugs. No discoloration, burning, heating.
Carbs will need a going-through.

Attachments

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another good reason in the pic below to get these parts bikes. This was under the seat:

Attachments

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ha! - 23K miles on this NOS Dunlop Cruisemax front tire from the daily rider.

Attachments

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, they're out there.
Cleaned the points and it's running on gas through the fuel pump now.
Shot some video of a start-up. Will try and get it up later.
I put the front-end from my daily rider '78 on it so it can be moved around.
It's cleaning up well. Was taken care of until it got parked.

I don't know why the thread got moved here to the For Sale forum. I'm not actively trying to sell things off of it. Just showing what I'm doing to it. ..

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's some video from yesterday I shot after putting a gas bottle to the fuel pump and getting it going on gas for the first time.

Soaked the cylinders in 3-in-1 oil for a day or so to break the rings free.
Fired it over on ether.
Fresh DELO 400 and filter.
Cleaned the points up.
New NGK plug boots.
Used (but cleaned) D7EA's.
Lubed throttle cables and carb linkages.

...and it runs again. :)

Bought with the story of the engine was "locked-up" from the son of the original owner. Seems the old man didn't want junior riding it once he parked it.
Fuel line from petcock to pump is missing... ;)

Momma has a new-to-her bike. She's 4'11" and is gonna need it lowered. I've some tricks to get it down while keeping a decent suspension.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Aw heck, I thought we were gonna see Momma ride it round the block at least!!:?:ROFL::ROFL:

I bet that was satisfying when she first fired up after all those years of neglect. Of course, if folks didn't leave them out behind barns and stuff, then they wouldn't be $300 bikes, ripe for restoration, or as parts bikes to keep others alive. So in a backward sort of way, it is a great thing that people do that. :)

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ha! Neither one are ready for that ride yet.. The Twinstar is still new to her.

The 'Wing hasn't made it downhill far enough to be a parts bike yet.
It's going to ride low though... Should still look good, just low.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, I'm really running it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.