Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Most ask how many miles will a goldwing go. Since we really don't know and the frequency of driving is a factor, would a better question be 'how long can I expect to find parts for my wing?

I have a '98 and have heard that after 10 years, parts become harder to find. When talking to the dealer, it doesn't seem like there will be a problem for a long time, and there are lots of sources for parts. There seems to still be parts for 20 year old wings. So...

How long can I expect to be able to find parts necessary to keep my wing safely on the road?

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

I would guess there would be parts for 20 years or more.
There are always salvage yards for motorcycles.

That's one good thing about a Harley, they have used the same parts for 25 years.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

Biker John wrote:
That's one good thing about a Harley, they have used the same parts for 25 years.
That also means they are using 25 year old technology on brand new bikes. Absolutely no imagination.:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I have a 1988 with 105,000 miles. The bike is very strong. I have replace some seals and filters etc. that are nomal for any vehicle. Vehicles are meant to be driven. If stored, there is the danger of seals hardening, corrosion, etc. While I am still bit new to the wings, in my case, my understanding is that the 1988-2001 remained relatively unchanged throughout its life with the exception in 1997 where I have heard some components were beefed up. I have experienced no problems getting parts from the dealer, Bike Bandit, Cyclemax Ohio, Old Bike Barn, and more. My opinion is that there are so many 1500's on the road that there is a market for parts.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Considering that it's not too difficult to keep GL1000s running after 33 years, the 1500s which were built for 12 years and in much greater numbers should be good for another 25-30 years yet. Ten years isn't a magic number for parts, it's just that most Honda shops won't work on a 'Wing over ten years old. One of the major disadvantages of a Honda Goldwing is their poor product support compared to Harley and BMW. Luckily in most places you can find independent shops that will work on them, not to mention places like this forum where your can tap a huge knowledge base and get support to do your own work.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

83' and going strong.Lots of parts bikes out there in that range with interchangeable parts.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

:action:heres a pic of a 26 year old bike that was restored to like new. parts --no problems.

math problem should have read as it is now.

Attachments

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,778 Posts
imported post

I recognize that picture!

Taken at Calhoun on Cyote 61's ranch.

:leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

yep--- thats it! seeit again at montrose , co. .

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

nooobie wrote:
Most ask how many miles will a goldwing go. Since we really don't know and the frequency of driving is a factor, would a better question be 'how long can I expect to find parts for my wing?

I have a '98 and have heard that after 10 years, parts become harder to find. When talking to the dealer, it doesn't seem like there will be a problem for a long time, and there are lots of sources for parts. There seems to still be parts for 20 year old wings. So...

How long can I expect to be able to find parts necessary to keep my wing safely on the road?
Federal law requires the vehicle manufacturer to maintain parts availability for at least 10 years after the vehicle was manufactured. After that it is up to the manufacturer how long they continue to make parts. Honda sold/sells a lot of Goldwings. So they still make money selling the parts, and most parts are still available.

Walter

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

As long as my bike runs Like I do and looks half as good as me I am happy

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

My previous 1990 SE had 235,000 miles on it when I gave it to my brother last year. He flew out to Seattle and rode it back to Kentucky. I think the 1500's are one of the best runs for GL's to date.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

1989 105,000 and climbing, I had a student looking at my bike the other day and saw a GPA mount I had made and he said " you never see a harley with one of those on it" and I replied you are correct and probably you wont see a harley with that odometer reading either. He agreed with me about that.

Ride On

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
imported post

87 Aspencade, every part I've needed the local dealer could supply, I've sourced from other outlets new parts and there's always ebay listing thousands of usedparts. 22 yrs and no problems.

Alistair

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

It sounds like I'll be riding this bike until I can no longer ride, and maybe the next owner, and the next...

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
imported post

1980 GL1100 Interstate. 93,000 + miles, new belts, tires and brakes, changed fluids. RUNS FINE with me, my wife and ALL our gear even up in the mountains.

See you all in Eureka Springs!!!!!!!!!!

AspectOne

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

1995, 1500 ASPENCADE......210,000 KS AND GOING STRONG, NO PROBLEM FINDING PARTS BECAUSE IT DOSEN'T NEED ANY. I THINK IT WILL PROBABLY KEEP GOING FOR ANOTHER 200 YEARS EASY.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

77 GL1000 and so far the dealer has had everything i have needed on a 2 day lead time.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.