Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A friend gave me his old, 1980 Kawasaki 250 LTD that he's had parked in his barn for the last 10 years or better. It's a single jug bike with only 2,727 miles on it. He bought it for his wife to learn on, then parked it under a tarp. I plan on bringing it back to life so my daughters can use it learn to ride on also. It's a great little thing, feels so light. Makes you want to pick it up and carry it under your arm. I'll put up some picks once I find the camera. What a great summer project. :smiler:

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
imported post

I remember those! Aluminum wheels, nice padded seat with the rear slightly elevated, single jug. Nice find for a first bike! Most of the ones I remember were black, but I’ve also seen them in blue and red. What color is it?

Dane :15magenta:

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

I'd love to come across one of those! ...

I've a neighbor who has a daughter (I think she is in her mid 20's or so) who wants to learn how to ride. She (the neighbor) has approached me about finding her daughter a bike to learn to ride on.

Standard-fare Rebel 250's are floating around $2K.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Both of those are great choices for first bikes, unless you do not have the place to ride dirt bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

It's blue and yes I think it's going to be the perfect bike to learn on!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
imported post

Funny...I don't remember them having wire spoke wheels and drum brakes. Gettin old I guess. :ROFL:

Still...a very sweet find and a great bike to learn on.

Dane :15magenta:

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I really don't know about the wheels, although with as low miles as it has I can't imagine someone changing the rims. The bike on the cover of the manual that came with it has spoke wheels also, but I think it says 305 on the side cover.

Boiled out the carb today and picked up a set of new tires and a battery. Things are a lot less expensive for this little baby than the wing. :clapper:

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Here's my 440 LTD I use to run around town with... Light and Nimble. Perfect forthe 45mph speed limit in town here. I use it to chase-down parts for the most part. Since this picture, I've put the correct master cylinder on it for the front brake. I still need to put fork seals in it though. I've got'em, ...just haven't made time for it yet. 6-speed makes for quick, fun shifting. And the belt keeps it all smooth and quiet.

I've a 550 LTD as well. > It's getting "Chopperized" though.Going rigid with a girder. :smiler:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Finished going thru the carb, (reused the same pieces parts), new battery, spark plug, tires, and fresh gas. Hit the start button and she fired right up! Changed the oil and it took a few minutes of working the clutch before she stopped stalling when you shifted into 1st, but after that I made a few passes around the back yard. At this pace, it might be on the road this weekend!!!:action:

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Good find.....Those little bikes we used in our Learn to Ride Classes back in the late 70's early 80's, along with the Honda Rebels, never had a major problem with any of them, just the students Dropping them.....But beat up they still took a licking and kept on ticking....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.