Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out for a ride this past Saturday and stopped to take a picture road signs. I turned the bike of and when I went to start it the battery was dead. I tried to push start it 3 times no luck. Then a passerby happen to stop and had a jump pack I hooked it up and the bike started then died after I disconnected it did that several times too. I called the local auto parts for an AGM battery in stock fully charged. I installed it runs great. I may be over thinking this but I thought the bike should have stayed running on the alternator once it is running. What should the voltage be when running ?

02 GL1800 with Cobra Trike kit.

The ride was about 3 hrs with a fill up at the beginning and a water break the bike never gave any indication of a weak or dead battery.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
R-GWing, We had a similar experience with my son's Kawasaki Concours C14.

It quit running at 70 mph. Would start and run when jumped from my Gold Wing. Disconnect my jumper cables and it quit running.

We installed a new battery and all was well.

There was an internal short in the battery.......!!

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome thanks Was heading out today just didn't want to get out and not get back.I was hoping it was just a battery and trouble over but I get to thinking then over thinking. Thanks again, RT.

·
Administrator
26,569 Posts
You need to check the charging voltage. Put a meter on the battery and check voltage with the engine off then start the engine and see if the voltage goes up.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I will do that. Is there a recommended voltage I should be looking for? I know the battery is 12 V but should peak at 13-14 V if everything is working.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The fully charged battery with key off should read 12.6 volts.
Running it should be near 14. This is after start up and running for a few minutes at least. 13.7 is the minimum, 14.5 would be max.

Just so you know, it should not drop below 9.6 volts when cranking from a fully charged battery.

David

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,198 Posts
The fully charged battery with key off should read 12.6 volts.
Running it should be near 14. This is after start up and running for a few minutes at least. 13.7 is the minimum, 14.5 would be max.

Just so you know, it should not drop below 9.6 volts when cranking from a fully charged battery.

David
David is correct.
Cold battery should be 12.6ish
on 1500s and lower, it should be around 14.4 charging when cold, then after engine & alternator gets hot, the regulator should back off to 13.6ish.

the 1800s seem to push 14.4 all the time, at least mine does, I have a panel meter so I can see it easily.

this pix was taken when the bike was cold, and no Battery Tender installed.
so it represents a "cold bike" status.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Had the same issue. Kind of rare but mine had an internal open in the battery,,,Pretty unusual but happens. More common in high power small batteries like the Goldwing uses. Lots of stuff squeezed in a small apace.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tested the battery 13.11 cold sitting for 24 hrs. Then tested after starting 14.55 after rev eng to 2000 rpm held good and solid. When and rode 350+ with several stops. No worries had no further issues. Thanks to all the replies it's great to have this much knowledge available for these little troubles. Respects to all. RT.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts