Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know Cruise controls have been covered before but I dont find a thread that covers my situation.

My cruise on light will illuminate but then when I try to set the speed the cruise set light does not illuminate. The speed wont set, there is no reaction at all. I have checked all fuses and they are OK. I looked through my shop book but I am overwhelmed by the process.

In easy to understand terms can anyone give me an idea what might be the problem?

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

Perhaps it is the clutch microswitch not disengaging, so when you attempt to engage the cruise controle, it gets bumped as a result of a sticking switch. If I am not mistaken, the druise control light will come on as long as you dont attempt to set it, once you set it, you re-engage the system, where it is then kicked out.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,758 Posts
imported post

Hi Fireman,
Check to make sure the foot brake switch is not sticking on all the time. I had the same problem and that's what it turned out to be.
Those switches need to be cleaned and adjusted often

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks ARF and Dennis, I will check those switches. I will let ya know what I find. It is raining for the next couple of days so it will be a while as I dont have room to move in my storage with all the junk in there.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Your hand brake also has a micro-switch. Mine wouldn't engage either until I replaced it. Cost me like $12 at a honda shop.

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

UPDATE:

I checked the brake switches and they are good. I checked the cultchand switch was good but the clutch handle has slack in it when released and does not go far enough forward to engage the switch. If I push the handle forward a bit the switch clicks and I can get a cruise set light at speed. BUT!!! My speed wont set. The Cruise Set light is on but no speed control at all. Now I have to try to figure out where the next problem is. And howto set the clutch handle so the switch will click.

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

No I didnt but I dont know if the PO did. As far as I know they are originals. It is more like there is a good 1/4 inch slack where the handle is loose and moves back and forth when fully released. Like the plunger is not pushing far enough out to force the full travel of the handle.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

Flush your brake and clutch with new fluids and see if that helps to restore the full travel of the lever.Also take the levers off and check the bushing in the lever that the bolt goes thru for excessive wear and also check the bolts for wear.

It could be a case were the bushing has worn bigger thru use and the bolt has worn smaller and it would completely throw the clearances out of whack.

Make sure the bolt fits nice and snug in the lever bushings,if theres any free play then replace whats needed

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

It could also be where the lever pushes on the plunger that the lever is worn (or ground down)there where it makes contact

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

OK Bikgra I will check all that. Sounds like a plan. I still need to figure out why the speed set light will be on but I cannot set the speed. I can hold the clutch lever full out to trip the switch and the set light comes on but it wont set the speed. The light says it is set but bike makes no effort to hold speed.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
imported post

You should also check the set button. The cruise buttons suffer from gunk build up just like the radio switches. My resume button did that. Make sure you are getting a contact when you push the button.

If that is the problem you can use wd40 or a contact cleaner. I took my whole control apart to clean with a brush, but that is very tedious.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I went through this myself, and it is frustrating for sure.

I did learn, that the "set" function will not work unless the vehicle is moving at a predetermined speed of over 20-30 miles an hour.

The lights would work after a good shot of CRC Electronic Contact cleaner(safe for plastic formula), but the actuator wouldn't work.

Finally saw in the Clymer manual,about the set function. Be advised, there are 2 micro switches on both the clutch and the front brake. Also one on the foot brake, and one on the throttle return side of the throttle.

I would suspect the actuator at a last resort. My PO (no, not parole officer!), had put aftermarket levers on, and I used little pieces of felt, you know, those "dots" for avoiding scratching the furniture, made from felt with a sticky side.

Stuck one on both the paddles that activate the switches, and have'nt had a problem since! keep hunting it down.

It's usually simple. Good luck, jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

I'm also having problems with my cruise. I have both cruise on and cruise set light that comes on indicating that it is working but the cruise does not set.When Ipull the clutch, or work either brake and the cruise set light goes off. Push the cruise set buttonagain and the light comes back on. I have checked all my switches and they work. makes full contact with the clutch, and both brakes. I'm like you not sure what to look for next and hoping some one may have the answer we need.

I'm wondering if the vacuum hose on the cruise control could be a place to check. If I come up with anything new I will let you know.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Sounds like everything is working exept the actuator? jimsjinx

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.