Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Got Carbs back from Pistal Petes....Bike runs great....big difference...but im getting lots of white smoke and the bike is useing gas. I haven't had the carbs ballanced yet. Could this be the demon? The fumes smell strong like its a choke problem.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

A rough ride compliments of UPS could have un-adjusted the floats. Have you checked for excess gas in the common carb area below the air filter, or in the cylinders?

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Yes.

Those carbs are probably not even CLOSE to balanced.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I suspect the white smoke is indicating a head gasket leak more than a carb problem. Hold your hand or a piece of paper, rag or what ever right behind the pipes and see if it gets wet after a minute's exposure to the 'smoke'. Your carbs probably do need sync'ing. Pistol Pete most likely bench synced the so they probably aren't a long ways off but could use some final dialing in. I doubt shipping would knock the float settings out, the floats are pretty light and the mounts are fairly robust.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Easy test.

Ride the bike around normally, then when you get within 1/2 mile of home crank open the throttle for 10 seconds in a high gear (bog it basically) then shut off the motor and coast into your driveway. Take out the plugs, report back how they look.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I have allready rode the bike for about 20 to 30 min. I just pulled the plugs and found that the no3 plug seemed fouled with carbon but the other plugs were fine. I haven't rode it as you suggested but can do tomorrow.....thanks

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Ok, discovered something new, the choke cable wasen't set correctly, so the bike had been running with the choke partly on. After correcting this, I had way less smoke. I diden't get any moisture from the rear exaust as one post suggested. I still noticea littlesmoke and a slight occasional burp or pop from one exaust as the bike sits and idols. Im not sure if that is normal. Anyway I haven't been able to really take it out on the highway yet. Im thinking that a nice ride might clean it out since it hasen't been rode very farfor a couple years. Also I'm sure this had something to do with useing excess gas. Adioseee and Thanks

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If it's been sitting a long time a good run on the road may help clean her out, a dose of Sea Foam probably wouldn't hurt either.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I am almost certain that Pete does engine run on the carbs that he overhauls before they go out the door so unless damaged in shipping or not installed/setup properly I would look elsewhere for a while before going there.Have you had them synched yet? There are differences between even very tight engines that require adjusting for.

Is your ignition system perfect?? Fresh points properly set, Fresh plugs properly gapped, coils read out good, plug caps read out good etc etc......beyond a Synch this is the first place I would look for idling issues on freshly overhauled carbs. Even if upgraded to a Dyna or similar I would verify the timing for both modules.

Is your fuel system clean and full of fresh fuel, is your fuel pump operating correctly.

Valves set correctly, Timing belts on correctly and not a tooth off, good compression readings

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.