Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode recently to Florida from Seattle. On the way back, the engine died in Utah then sort of came back with almost no power. I egged it to the top of a hill & stopped to give it some thought. I'd put a new fuel pump in a couple of years ago so I figured it was OK. Didn't know what to do so started back up and made it home without incident.
Got to thinking that maybe the fuel filter needed changing since I hadn't done it for a long time. Pulled the old one out and noticed there was something loose inside the plastic casing. Cut it open and the element was just wandering around in there. The glue that fastens it at one end had let go and there was all kinds of glue and stuff floating around. So probably this crap got into my carbs and plugged a jet in Utah. Stopping the engine probably let it fall back in the bowl where it lurks for another surprise later.
After looking the filter over I noticed it was an Emgo. No wonder. I ordered it online a while back along with other stuff, probably, from a big-name online Goldwing supplier and figured it must be good. I never buy anything that Emgo makes - at least not on purpose.
Watch out guys. Get OEM when it counts - like with fuel filters. Now I don't know what to do. The thought of disassembling that behemoth to mess with the carbs makes me cranky.

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
I quit using their filters when I found out one of their air filters for a 1100 was 1/4 inch too short, and after that refuse to use their filters. I'm picky about gas and oil filters anyway, I've seen a couple of Fram oil filters that disintegrated, and was always afraid that EMGOs were just as cheaply made as Fram. I like filters made by Champion, (Purolator, Supertech, Mobil M1, Bosch). The fuel filters, and air, I'll spend a couple of bucks more and get OEM from Cyclemax, but now that Wal-Mart no longer sells their excellent Supertech oil filters, and I've used up my stash, I've been using the Purolator Pure One PL 14610 on my 1800.:)
Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Sooo, I have an EMGO air filter sitting here waiting to be used. I know it is not as critical as a fuel filter as far as causing a break down( which I bought one from NAPA), so should I toss the air filter or go ahead and use it?

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I Have used EMGO oil filters for 35 years. I currently have 13 of them on a shelf in my garage, for the Goldwing and Vulcan 750. I have never had a problem with a single one of them. It is possible the manufacturer has changed (happens all the time with filters) I do know Fram oil filters are junk, at least the spin on type. Several people on several different forums have had engines destroyed by them. I have never used anything but those small inline fuel filters, I've never had a bike before that used a large fuel filter element. I have always used stock air filters. I've always been afraid of those low restriction air filters that everybody wants that also let through tons of dirt. K&N makes the worlds absolute worst air filter ever. They are so porous you can see right through them. They might stop medium sized gravel. I get most of my filters in quantity from denniskirk.com.

I would not be afraid to use that Emgo air filter. I intend to use all my Emgo oil filters, and probably buy more, unless Google turns up a ton of bad stuff about them, like with Fram.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sooo, I have an EMGO air filter sitting here waiting to be used. I know it is not as critical as a fuel filter as far as causing a break down( which I bought one from NAPA), so should I toss the air filter or go ahead and use it?
Well Jerry is OK with EMGO. I won't buy anything that says Emgo on it.

·
Honda Guru
2,075 Posts
I quit using EMGO when I found their oil filters for CB750 SOHC models rattled. Took them out of the box and shuck them... (12 in a box) The glue they used had come apart and let the insides float around. I don't want to think what could have happened…. seized top end comes to mind. Maybe wasted crank and bearings. I quit using them!!!

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I quit using EMGO when I found their oil filters for CB750 SOHC models rattled. Took them out of the box and shuck them... (12 in a box) The glue they used had come apart and let the insides float around. I don't want to think what could have happened…. seized top end comes to mind. Maybe wasted crank and bearings. I quit using them!!!
Hmm. That is exactly what happens to Fram filters. The actual filter inside the can usually collapses shortly after the engine is started. I have never seen an EMGO that did that, none of mine rattle. Probably changed manufacturers. It's getting hard to find a good filter, or what you know to be a good filter. Seems all brands are constantly looking for cheaper manufacturers so they can make more money. I'm still pretty sure WIX is a good filter. They are used by most fleet departments, and would be in big trouble if they got a bad reputation. NAPA filters are also good (as of now)

There is a big difference in an air filter and an oil filter. You should be able to look at an air filter and tell if it is any good. The cartridge type oil filters I have for the 1200 Goldwing also look ok.

Nevertheless a defective oil filter is unacceptable. I definitely would not use one that rattled. I started using Emgo filters back in 1980, for my brand new Suzuki GS450L. They are mostly what I have used ever since. I have used oem filters, and a few other brands including Parts Unlimited and Bikemaster without problems

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I set out to find a review that would nix Jerry's contention that K&N air filters were no good - mainly because I'd heard from lots of sources that they were the best and I'd put one on my GL1500 and one on my CB750. I was also planning on putting one on my other 2 bikes. Well here's an eye-opener. Jerry, I still think you ought to rethink Emgo, but you were, apparently, dead right on K&N. Read this fellas:

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.