Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
25,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy came up to my house a little while ago, he said he was here to measure the power poles on my property. Being curious I watched him measure one. He tied a pole about 5' long to the pole and got an electronic instrument on a tripod and went 20 0r 30 feet from the pole and did something with the instrument and then loaded up his stuff and went on his way. I suppose this is the modern way to measure the height of something but I wondered if he knew how to do it without that device. I would have done it the old fashioned way, take a pole of a known length, stand it up next to the power pole, measure it's shadow then measure the shadow of the power pole and do a little math. I'm sure it would be cheaper.

·
Administrator
25,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
With your assistant standing next to the pole, stand back about 50’ with a stick in your outstretched hand. Align the top of your stick with the top of the pole. Adjust your thumb on the stick to align with the bottom of the pole.

Now, rotate the stick to the horizontal, keeping your thumb aligned with the bottom of the pole. Have your assistant pace out steps along the visual line of the stick. When they reach the end of the stick, they will have pased out a length equal to the height of the pole.

·
Just one of the guys
4,794 Posts
Measure from your eye to your outstretched hand. Take a stick and hold it at a point that matches the measurement. Hold that stick at arms length and move forward or backward until the top of the stick matches the top of the pole and the bottom of the pole is at the point where the stick is held in your hand. From your feet to the pole should be the height of the pole.

·
Administrator
25,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With your assistant standing next to the pole, stand back about 50’ with a stick in your outstretched hand. Align the top of your stick with the top of the pole. Adjust your thumb on the stick to align with the bottom of the pole.

Now, rotate the stick to the horizontal, keeping your thumb aligned with the bottom of the pole. Have your assistant pace out steps along the visual line of the stick. When they reach the end of the stick, they will have pased out a length equal to the height of the pole.
Measure from your eye to your outstretched hand. Take a stick and hold it at a point that matches the measurement. Hold that stick at arms length and move forward or backward until the top of the stick matches the top of the pole and the bottom of the pole is at the point where the stick is held in your hand. From your feet to the pole should be the height of the pole.
Those are some interesting ideas. May have to try that just for grins. I remember being taught the shadow method in elementary school several days ago.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Those are some interesting ideas. May have to try that just for grins. I remember being taught the shadow method in elementary school several days ago.
You're either a little young to be riding wing or really struggling to get through school :D

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
25,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're either a little young to be riding wing or really struggling to get through school :D

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Or it really could have been several days ago.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for reminding us the use of technology is not always the answer. I am trying to instill this in my grandchildren every chance I get. Sometimes they are very surprised at the “old school” alternative.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Thanks for reminding us the use of technology is not always the answer. I am trying to instill this in my grandchildren every chance I get. Sometimes they are very surprised at the “old school” alternative.
Smack 'em with your slide rule. That always works.

·
Administrator
25,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kids can be lost when there's not an app for something. I wish they still taught practical stuff in school.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I remember back a few years ago our daughter wanted to know how much the dog weighted. I went in and weighted myself and then picked up the dog and weighted again, dog weight was 12.5 lbs. She thought I was the smartest man in the world. They never taught Practical stuff in school, when I went. Learned most of that stuff from not having tools that cost money. Had to think. Have you ever put a dime in a wrench because your wrench was to big for the nut you were trying to get off and you didn't have the right tool. My uncle was a farmer and if you worked with him you would learn lots of good stuff. I learned most stuff because I was doing stuff not in school.

·
Administrator
25,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I learned a lot out of necessity. We were poor and if something broke it had to be fixed by us, my Dad and I, not by paying someone else to do it.

·
Premium Member
5,380 Posts
A while back I amazed a coworker by doing a simple ratio adjustment to a cable we were fault locating.

A week later he wanted to get into a discussion with the dean of economics from a local university. I would have enjoyed listening to that.

·
Premium Member
5,380 Posts
I learned a lot out of necessity. We were poor and if something broke it had to be fixed by us, my Dad and I, not by paying someone else to do it.
A month a go I needed a 6-32 brass screw. A trip to Home Depot would be 20 minutes, another 20 to get out of the store and 20 home. I made my own in a half hour. Sometimes it pays to screw yourself.

Reactions: DaveO430

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Over the past few weeks, our dryer began making a lot of noise. To the point it couldn't be run at night while people were trying to sleep. The immediate solution, of course, was to replace the dryer. Oh and since the washer MUST match the dryer, the washer has to be replaced too.

I told the Mrs that before we go to that expense, that I wanted a crack at fixing it. Long story short, I spent a half day and $30 in parts and now the dryer has never been so quiet!

So, did I save ourselves a ton of money? unfortunately no. Mrs said since we don't have to replace the laundry equipment, that we can use the funds to redecorate the kitchen! So now the money will still be spent and I have a new, multi-week project to punch out!

No good deed ever goes unpunished!

·
Administrator
25,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Over the past few weeks, our dryer began making a lot of noise. To the point it couldn't be run at night while people were trying to sleep. The immediate solution, of course, was to replace the dryer. Oh and since the washer MUST match the dryer, the washer has to be replaced too.

I told the Mrs that before we go to that expense, that I wanted a crack at fixing it. Long story short, I spent a half day and $30 in parts and now the dryer has never been so quiet!

So, did I save ourselves a ton of money? unfortunately no. Mrs said since we don't have to replace the laundry equipment, that we can use the funds to redecorate the kitchen! So now the money will still be spent and I have a new, multi-week project to punch out!

No good deed ever goes unpunished!
Reminds me of a recent political snafu. If some people have a dime they never consider putting it away, it has to be spent, now.

·
Premium Member
3,721 Posts
I remember back a few years ago our daughter wanted to know how much the dog weighted. I went in and weighted myself and then picked up the dog and weighted again, dog weight was 12.5 lbs. She thought I was the smartest man in the world. They never taught Practical stuff in school, when I went. Learned most of that stuff from not having tools that cost money. Had to think. Have you ever put a dime in a wrench because your wrench was to big for the nut you were trying to get off and you didn't have the right tool. My uncle was a farmer and if you worked with him you would learn lots of good stuff. I learned most stuff because I was doing stuff not in school.

I tried that once, only problem was the dog weighed 90 lbs and I couldn't bend over to look at the scale. My back hasn't been the same since.

Reactions: flylow and DaveO430
1 - 20 of 31 Posts