Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
One thought was missed on measuring that pole.

Using new technology and old.
Old tech is pacing out the length via 3 foot strides.:walker:
New tech is a cordless chainsaw. :angel2:

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
One thought was missed on measuring that pole.

Using new technology and old.
Old tech is pacing out the length via 3 foot strides.:walker:
New tech is a cordless chainsaw. :angel2:
Only problem with using the chainsaw is with the pole on the Ground you measure how long it is not how tall it is

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
I miss ya, buddy.
Is the work we did when you were down here still good?
Hey Ric. I miss you, too. I need to pop in here every now and then to make sure you and Dave are taking care of everyone.

The work you did is bulletproof. I was just along for the ride.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Old technology , About 15 years ago, I built on an extension to the garage for a workshop. To layout the right angles, all I used was a tape measure. Using the 3,4,5 proportions to an isosceles triangle. For elevations I used a water level, some clear sections of plastic hose attached to a long section of garden hose. One end mounted to the original garage, the other mounted to a stick length calibrated to the top of foundation. Just move it a round to set the form height to match.

The neighbor guy was a surveyor and checked over my layout and said he couldn't have done any better with his transit. I had seen the local Amish builders do it this way and thought I'd give it a go.

·
Administrator
57,395 Posts
Old technology , About 15 years ago, I built on an extension to the garage for a workshop. To layout the right angles, all I used was a tape measure. Using the 3,4,5 proportions to an isosceles triangle. For elevations I used a water level, some clear sections of plastic hose attached to a long section of garden hose. One end mounted to the original garage, the other mounted to a stick length calibrated to the top of foundation. Just move it a round to set the form height to match.

The neighbor guy was a surveyor and checked over my layout and said he couldn't have done any better with his transit. I had seen the local Amish builders do it this way and thought I'd give it a go.

done that a few times myself, I trust the water hose far more than a transit, you can use that water hose, around behind a wall.....
Dare you to make a transit do that one. :wink2:

·
Registered
42 Posts
We use a water level to set skids for gas measurement piping.
Some of the oldest technology in the world and it's still used today.

But, yeah, I would have used the chainsaw method for the pole.

·
Administrator
24,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

Attachments

21 - 31 of 31 Posts