Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Years ago developers went into the wilderness of Southern Sarasota county and put in paved roads. They planned a monster development, but it fell apart.

When the building boom really got going a couple years back, NorthPort became one of the fastest growing areas in the nation. It became one of the largest cities in Florida. It is spread out over many square miles of land. Just about all is subdivided and paved, but alot without the power lines run in.

It was speculators heaven and the sales of homes multiplied faster than cat's in heat.

They just reported that in the peak of the boom about two or three years ago, NorthPort issued 4,000 building permits in one year. Some of my work was coming from that area.

This year, they don't think they will issue 40!

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

That is sad, but with the economy such as it has been in the past few years, I can see why....But here in Houston it's still business as usual at the city permit office, come early plan on staying late.....I always hated going to the permit office, as you had these " runners" for the builders there, and they would have any where from 5 to 50 sets of blue prints to be approved....and lord help you if you got in line behind them....it was going to not be your day....

Plus it seemed like every other day the city would change the codes on something....OK I don't know if you had this code, but for a bunch of years Houston said you had to have a over flow drain on dishwashers that had to be mounted at the sinks?????..Well that meant that if you were doing a remodeling job and were installing a new dishwasher, you now had to install a new sink, because most older sinks didn't have an extra hole for this new drain....Then after a few years that code went away??

I would not want to be in your shoes trying to draw blue prints in this town....OH did I mention that the old hurricane codes have been updated to where folks that just suffered a little roof damage now have to go in and put in hurricane clips??? Of course you know with all the money that is going to be shared now the home building trades are going to go out the roof????:cheeky1::cheeky1:..

Claude.....

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Yeah, we get those that do permitting services here in our building department too. They would tie up one person for almost half the day. But I can't complain, a couple of the contractors I did plans for would have me submit them to keep from having to go to the permit office.

$150.00 wasn't too bad if you could get right in and out, but if you had to sit for an hour, plus the driving time and then the return trip, it wasn't enough.

We have our share of crazy new codes coming in now. Any remodel involving older wood framed homes that is close to 50% of the value of the home and they want you to remove drywall at the bottom and the top to re-anchor the wall to the concrete and the truss to the wall.

·
Administrator
57,667 Posts
imported post

That has to be for hurricane protection trying desperately to keep the roof from blowing away.

It isn't going to help. If the wind is that strong, the shingles and the underlayment have already been blown away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.