1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
QUOTED FROM SJ-R, SPRINGFIELD,IL

Rushville man killed in motorcycle crash

By Staff reports
The State Journal-Register
Posted May 17, 2013 @ 11:49 AM
Last update May 17, 2013 @ 05:27 PM

VIRGINIA — A 51-year-old Rushville man died Friday morning when his motorcycle collided with a pickup truck at Duncan Avenue and Illinois 125 in Virginia, Illinois State Police said.David L. Watkins was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the Cass County death examiner’s office.
The crash occurred as Watkins was heading east on the highway about 7:45 a.m. on his Honda motorcycle.
The other driver, James R. Stock, 16, of Virginia, was stopped at the intersection, heading south on Duncan Avenue in his gold 2004 Chevrolet pickup. He told police he didn’t see the motorcycle when he pulled into the intersection.
The motorcycle crashed into the front passenger side of Stock’s truck.
Stock was ticketed for failing to yield at a stop intersection, state police said.
Illinois State Police in District 18, which is south of Sangamon County and does not include Cass County, issued a press release Friday reminding motorists to look out for motorcycles.
The release noted that within the last week, troopers in District 18 have handled three motorcycle crashes that resulted in three fatalities and two people being severely injured.
In 2012, motorcycle crashes claimed the lives of 148 people across the state, the release said, adding, “Typically motorcycles are overlooked by motorists because of their smaller size and other distractions.”

END QUOTE

This happened basically right outside where I work. Typical "I didn't see him". I go thru this intersection a lot on my bike. Clear and no visual obstructions.

Damn Shame
My thoughts and prayers go out to family and friends.:praying:

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
May David L Watkins he be with his Lord and the Lord with his family .

Young MR Stock will likley pay a small fine possibly a bump in his insurance rate ( likely his parents rate actually ) . The thing is , at 16 years young he has a long time to think about this . Hopefully he pays attention the rest of his days .

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
grrrrr...... Dislike reading these.
''Didn't see the bike''. Someone simply just not looking. It's just a glance to see if a vehicle is coming and GO.

Somehow something just isn't right about vehicle accidents.
This kid, and too many others, get off too easy.

Not sure about other states laws but in ILLINOIS you hit a road construction worker = 14 years in jail & big fine.

:?

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
Not sure about other states laws but in ILLINOIS you hit a road construction worker = 14 years in jail & big fine.

:?[/QUOTE]

I think the general public has a chip against bikes/bikers . Untill that attitude changes or we band together and have a group of Lobbyist, laws and punishishment dont much matter . No enforcement no worries .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.