Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I noticed after assembly the gear will not turn, is this normal ? when I take it apart it will spin.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Sounds like something isn't seating correctly when you put it back together and binding the shaft. It should have only a small amount of drag from the brushes contacting the commutator. It should be such a small amount of drag that you may not even feel it.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

frankenpak wrote:
I noticed after assembly the gear will not turn, is this normal ? when I take it apart it will spin.
:waving:which gear are you reffering to?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

Because of the high gear reduction the output shaft (that the star gear slides onto) will be VERY difficult to turn when the starter is completely assembled. Hook it up to power to test, no need to turn the final output shaft

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hi Frankenpack,

When assembled, I would like to meet the person that could twist the output shaft. Dan Filipi is correct… really really hard to turn/twist.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

DO NOT TURN IT WITH ANYTHING----- BUT THE CHAIN DRIVE GEAR!!!

the splines are real soft and get messed up. no plyers.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Ok, that's making sense....I took it apart a 2nd time and I still can't turn the shaft. I don't want to strip the threads by using vice grips or anything else. How do I check it electrically while off the bike ????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.