Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
As a NEW GL1200 owner myself... I did a carb rebuild myself. I used the Randakk kit.

I'm not 'legally' a mechanic.. But, I DO like wrenching on cars (and now bikes). Here are a few things I found to be challenging as a newbie:

1) Getting the Carb assembly out of the bike in the first place. For me it didn't quite fit out of the left side of the bike. It's a tight fit. (interference with fairing nut)
2) Disconnecting the 4 vapor ports along side each intake (Maybe these things are only on CA bikes.. because I don't see many posts about how hard they are to get off without scratching stuff up.
3) Keeping track of the freaking nightmare of vacuum/fuel lines on the carbs underbelly. Again, maybe this is just on CA bikes.
4) Sequence of attaching throttle/choke cables prior to re-installing.
5) All the other details of keeping springs and parts together and remembering where they all go.
6) MAKE SURE THE GAS TANK IS CLEAN FIRST! (for me, I missed that first step completely, and rust crumbs messed up my freshly rebuilt carbs!)

I know my second time around would be a million times easier! One single piece of advice I'd add to the others is TAKE A LOT OF PICTURES, from many angles. (this was the only thing that saved me when it came to getting all the vacuum lines and hoses connecting the right things together.)

I don't regret doing it myself, it was challenging.. But, REALLY fun!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.