Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Got up early this morning, decided I would get the new front tire put on today. I know I got to do the front forks, but right now I just wanted to get the tire done. Once I had everything off to get the tire down to the shop........ I couldn't believe the amount of oil that was all over the place. The brake pads were just loaded up (no wonder I have poor brakes.....). So I figured lets go ahead and take it apart and get the seals done now............ I would say it's a PITA but since it's a labor of love, it's not all that bad. The one part I feared the most The Dreaded SPRING..... wasn't that bad at all. The PO had progressives installed and they went back together with somewhat ease. I drilled out the caps and tapped a 1/4 pipe thread so I can unscrew the plug the refill with oil.

The oil leak was so bad, Between the 2 forks I should have gotten out about 22 oz. I think I got about 8 oz between the two forks. This should make a huge difference in handling.

Just stopped for a quick lunch break so now back to work getting it all back together.

Also putting Dyna Beads in the tires to see what they do.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Excellent -- should also help with the longevity of treadwear on your front tire.

Way to go!

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

COMPLETED!!!! Took it for a short spin around the block and I could tell the difference in the first 150 feet, before I even got to second gear, didn't dive when I let off the throttle nor did the nose pick up like it use to when I rolled on it. I can take short turn (No more crossing over the yellow line) and it will zig zag up the road like it was nothing....... Im tired but I am really glad it's done!

FYI: Before the rebuild the air compressor would take the front up to 7, sometimes 8 pounds, now after the rebuild, it won't go over 4 pounds. Im guessing the extra fluid (15w fork oil) helps...

Now lets go do some highway stuff and see how those Dyna Beads are gonna work.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Well....... That didn't end well......

Went for a short drive up to our coffee shop, Parked the bike and the right fork was pouring oil out of it.........

This sucks! What could have caused that do you think?

The seals were called something "Balls" (No Balls would be appropriate right now), everything seemed to fit together really well, tight, but smooth. There now scrapes or nicks in the forks themself (a little pitting on the top side, but nothing were the seal is. I don't get it.......

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

By the way, the Dyna Beads kinda suck so far. Could be the fork, but at 1-33 MPH or so, the front end bobs hysterically, it's like riding a merry go round in fast motion. At high speeds, from 34 to 80, smooth as glass....... Low speed, not so good, unless it's that one fork thats leaking still, but I doubt it. I'll give them a little more time.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Any chance you put the seals or backup rings in opps side down? I've heard that some manuals show them installed incorrectly.:shock:

On the Dyna Beads, that's how they work, the tyre has to come up to speed before they do their job and why I won't use them.
Watch this video on Centramics which work on the same principle noting the bounce of the unbalanced wheel before the balance is corrected by the bearing/beads.
[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/ullnFQD4F1I&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I knew before hand that they had to go in a certain way. I checked my manuals, I checked the manufacturer (seals)instr4uctions, then paid close attention to how I took the old one off, and how the new ones went on. I am absolutely sure they are on Correctly.

only the right side is leaking (Severely). I made sure I seated them using a half of a 1 1/4 PVC pipe, which seemed to work pretty good, they went down nice and straight....... The snap ring went back in with no effort at all...... Dunno.....

I just ordered another set. Old pro at this now....... well..... Im old..... Pro...?? Probably not....... sigh.....

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

You may have gotten a defective seal, it can happen or you may have cut the seal slipping over the tube. A careful examination of the offending seal might tell the story when you get it out.

I've never used All Balls parts or as you call them No Balls but I suspect they're just the same as the parts you get over the counter at your Auto Parts store.:shock:
I did use OEM Honda seals when I did my forks 40k ago and not a drop of oil since.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I ordered a new set, shouldn't take to long the second time.

I was pretty impressed with the all balls product. They seemed as heft or better than the originals and the direction for installation was spot on, versus my 2 honda repair manuals.

I'm sure it's something I did wrong, but I don't feel right putting these back in, so I'll wait for the new ones to get here and perform a redo.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Hum, two repair manuals were wrong and All Balls was right?
I smell a rat.:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

After learning my lesson the hard way, I won't use anything but Honda seals. And I really avoid the ones that are GUARANTEED notto leak. :thumbsdown:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
Hum, two repair manuals where wrong and All Balls was right?
I smell a rat.:ROFL:
No... The Manuals weren't wrong, just weren't as specific as as the instructions pertaining to the seals themselves.

The manuals leave a lot to be desired for the novice. They show you the inner workings but give little detail as to how to get to them. A lot of what they skip is elementary to some, like just taking the front tire off, not in the Honda Manual that I can see. I did it, and when it was done it was simple, but I don't know if I have it centered correctly, if it is sitting correctly, or if it even matters if it's not....... dunno.

Now when I get the new seals in do I need to drain all the oil in this side (leaking side only), if not, how will I know how much oil is in there in order to add the right amount? They say to add 323 cc or 10.9219 oz...... Would it matter id I was 12 oz or 10 oz??? I have the filler caps I installed so removing the plug and draining wouldn't be a problem, will it all come out that way? .........

Appreciate your answers everyone, specially you Ken.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Seals are simple to understand, the side where you can see the inner workings goes to the pressure side, in this case down.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
imported post

Hmmm Put Dyna beads in the new elite III's and don't have a problem at all.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
imported post

By the way how much did you put in the front wheel?

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Well...... I had to revisit this one the other day when I noticed a spot of oil on the garage floor, but this time on the left side fork.

I pumped the forks up to 8 psi and let it sit over night and sure enough, a bigger puddle......

I didn't want to take it apart again do I cut a chunk out of the side of a plastic soda bottle and made sure there were no sharp edges or burrs, then I inserted it along side the seal and the fork. I went around a few times and didn't see anything come out, everything was clean, even the wipers. So I put everything back together (2 minutes) and because I drilled and tapped the caps, All I had to do was pull the plug, add an estimated 2 ounces and Whalla! No leaks as of yet. It's been a couple of days so we'll see.

I know I guesstimated on the amount of fork oil to put back in with out draining all of it and measuring it out again, but so far it's riding good..... Is the 10.9 ounces an exact science?? Doesn't feel it.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

ceasefire49 wrote:
By the way how much did you put in the front wheel?
Ceasefire, Im sorry, I didn't see your last post on the dyna beads. I put 2 ounces in, and Im still not happy with them. Wish I could easily get at least one ounce back out.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
Well...

... I know I guesstimated on the amount of fork oil to put back in with out draining all of it and measuring it out again, but so far it's riding good..... Is the 10.9 ounces an exact science?? Doesn't feel it.
The fill amount is really to set a "level" that will leave equal amounts of air above the oil in each fork -- it's been a while since I had my 1200, but I seem to rememebr that the air stuff could be pulled off leaving a hole in the top of each fork cap.

You're looking to have BOTH forks filled to the same level -- you can compare with a straightened coat-hanger (or similar) as a dipstick and set the levels to matching that way (for your leaking side).

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Yea, I was thinking of getting a thin wooden dowel to but down in the plugs to determine the height. Using the known measured fill side.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

I use Dynabeads in my M109R and love them. Smooth as glass at all speeds. I'll be adding them to my Wing shortly after I pick it up. Hopefully I'll have the same experience.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.