Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, more bad news. This thing is leaking like a seiv. I went out after dark, with my 2 AA Maglite, so I could see better, started spraying carb cleaner with a straw at specific areas, until I found what seemed to be the worst. I reached back into that area, found a connection, pushed on it a bit, and the idle speed went way up. I pushed on it the other way, and it went back down. I'm hoping someone familiar with the old fuel injection might know what this is. I cannot find it on any diagram, though I may just be missing it. This is on the right side of the engine, though there may be one on the left side as well. It is back behind the fuel delivery pipe. It is a WHITE colored plastic elbow, which points toward the front of the bike, and there is a rubber hose that connects to it, which goes forward, then makes a bend, and goes across the front of the engine to the other side. I don't yet have the right side fairing lower off, so I can't see where it goes. Would definitely appreciate any information as to what this might be. Also does anyone know what those red fabric covered hoses are that go to a fitting on each manifold? I found them on parts diagram, and it refers to them as "reed valve hoses" If so are they actually part of the fuel system, or part of an emissions system? They do not connect to that "reed valve box" that the lines to all 4 exhaust ports come from. Thanks, Jerry

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

i think those go to the "map" sensors located under the fuse block

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

In have not been able to figure out what they are, but they are not part of the emissions system, and they are not for the PBL/PBR sensors. Those use a very small vacuum line.

This system uses TWO reed valve assemblies, one on each side, one for the right side cylinders and one for the left side cylinders. Each reed valve assembly connects to both intake manifolds on that side, with 2 red fabric covered hoses. Ther is another fitting on each assemmbly, where a larger hose connects the 2 reed valve assemblies together. That is what the white elbow is for, there is one on each reed valve assembly.

Now here is the REALLY BIG problem. The elbow connects to a short piece of rubber hose that is MOLDED onto the reed valve assembly, and that hose is rotted out, at least on the right side. The hose is part of the entire assembly, cannot be replaced separately, and the entire assembly is no longer available. The hose/connector broke off on the right side, and even with the vacuum line plugged off, the engine will not run below 3000 rpm. It dies instantly when the throttle is released. Looks like this one is going to be dead for awhile.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
imported post

you could go to the auto part store and get a piece of hose and a hose clamp then clean off enough of the bad rubber to fit the new hose use the hose clamp to hold it in place. i've done this to get by till i found a set on ebay

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
imported post

this is the reed valves for your cold idle they have red hoses on them

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

wish you were closer, there is a guy locallyt who has an entire (although dissassembled) ltd for sale, 400.00

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

If you can wing your way out this direction I might be able to help you, I know what part you are referring to,the heat does a job on those parts under there PM me if your interested.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for the replies. Glad to know somebody knows what I'm talking about. I finally pulled the entire air chamber assembly, and it is not good. Both valves are bad (hoses rotted), and the rest of the hoses are also rotted. I cleaned all the rubber off one of the valves, got it really clean with a wire brush wheel on a Dremel. The problem is there is not enough metal sticking out to clamp a hose on, it would just fall off. Might be able to weld something to it. The rest of the hoses are preformed, but I'm sure something could be rigged up to fit. As for finding used valves, I doubt they would be any good after 26 years under there.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Good Luck, maybe. I found and ordered a set of reed valves and the front hose from Whitey's for $20. I'll just take a chance that they are usable. I believe I have enough parts to fabricate the hose that goes from the left reed valve to the air valve from all the emissions stuff I have taken off bikes over the years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.