Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot start my 92 with it in 1st gear and the clutch pulled in. Should I be able to do this? I can only start it in neutral.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Have a close look at your clutch lever's pushrod bushing. Take the pivot bolt out and actually REMOVE the lever from the bike. The pushrod ought to just come out of the bushing and the bushing ought to slip right out of the lever. Inspect the bushing for excessive wear, which it is prone to. Two things go bad with this one bushing:
1, The outer surface of the bushing wears away, lessening the push of the rod with the regular throw of the lever.
2, The pushrod likes to wear away at the inside of the bushing, pushing its way deeper into (through) the bushing... lessening the the push even more..

If left to take this course, the rod will eventually push its way through the bushing and on into...and through the lever itself.

Symptoms get worse with the wear I've described above:
Lever feels sloppy, some extra play, gets looser over time. It becomes more and more difficult to find neutral while the engine is running. Neutral safety switch fails to work (engine wont crank unless bike is in neutral.) Cruise control arbitrarily turns off, or fails to engage. Motorcycle lunges forward when you're stopped and put it in first gear...the clunking associated with this forward lunge gets worse over time. The motorcycle creeps forward when running, in gear, with the clutch lever pulled all the way in...

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so it sounds like I should be able to start the bike while in gear with the clutch pulled. It does stop the cruise when I lightly pull on the clutch lever. I'll do what you said and have a look.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
took it apart, cleaned things up, lubed everything and put it back together, and now it works. Hmmm.... Everything looked good with almost no looseness. Makes me wonder if the clutch switch is going bad.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Have you cleaned the switches on your bike yet with Electrical contact cleaner? Needs doing yearly, sometimes you can use WD40 to begin with then finish with ECC (WD40 is temporary, like several weeks)

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
:? or maybe your side-stand was down when you tired to start in in gear, and up after your cleaning ? :?

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
What usually happens is it is just tickling the switch. The switch does have just a little adjustment but the root cause can be the brass pivot bushing has worn. I put a very thin shim in the hole where the pushrod goes in to the clutch to shim the rod out ever so slightly and it has been good for 2 years and counting. The bushing is cheap but I didn't want to go to the dealer. Maybe I'll remember some day. Probably not until it acts up again though. :)

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you cleaned the switches on your bike yet with Electrical contact cleaner? Needs doing yearly, sometimes you can use WD40 to begin with then finish with ECC (WD40 is temporary, like several weeks)
No, I need to do this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.