Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

History.

I purchased a 98 GL1500 Aspencade in early May. This bike has 45,000 KM on it ( 27,000 Mi). It is in pristine condition and has never been abused.

I noticed shortly after bringing it home that if it sat without running for 3 days in the garage, I had to charge the battery to get it started. This happened on many occassions as the weather has been the craps here for riding.

I checked with a mechanic friend of mine and he advised that I charge the battery, remove the negative cable and let it sit for 3 days. This I did. When I hooked up the cable the bike started just fine. He advised me I had a draw on the battery from a source on the bike. He thought maybe the alternator/regulator was faulty.

I took the alternator off and had it checked by a rebuilder of alternators here in town. He says it and the regulator in itis fine. I replaced the alternator and took the bike over to his shop. He hooked up amp meters etc and checked the whole system. What he found was when the negative cable was disconnected his probe light pulsated very bright when attached to the negative post and the unattched negative cable. This indicated to him a draw on the system, much more than what the clock would draw. We removed fuses 1 at a time to no avail. By accident, I pushed the dash control to open the cassette deck door. The pulsating on the test light stopped. We played with this for some time. It seems that an attempt to open the cassette door with out the negative cable attached to the battery caused the pulsating. Once the negativecable was attached and the cassette door closed and reopened again the test light showed no pulsating. He was at a loss to explain what is happening.

I left his place after paying him $ 65.00 for checking it allout. He worked over 2 hours on it so I think I did OK. I came home, disconnected the neg cable and attached my test light to the cable and post. Pulsating again. I sprayed the switch on the dash and cassette player with Tuner cleaner I obtained from radio shack. I hooked it all up again, played the cd player. Then checked the disconnected cable and post with my test light. No pulsating now. The charged battery was checked also and it is fine.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on with the bike?

On my dash it shows an arrow that points to the right. No Cassette in the deck. Is this normal?

Thanks for any help/advice

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
imported post

It sounds like the "play" mechanism in the cassette deckis stuck. The arrow indicates the direction that the tape is playing. The bike thinks there is a cassette in the deck.

You may be able to insert a tape and then eject it to see if it will free the mechanism. If not...then you may have to take the deck apart to free it.

Are you able toswitch tothe radio? If so...then it shouldn't draw on the battery as bad. If not...then a good cleaning of the tape/radio switch and the tape deck should take care of it.

·
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Doug.

I have done that several times but the arrow stays there.

Now, How hard is it to take the radio out? I have a manual, just haven't consulted it.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
imported post

Not too hard...first thing to come off is the seat :cheeky1:

Then the fairing pockets have to come off....the ignition cover is next (and the filler plastic around the handlebars). Should be able to get the radio out then to at least get to the plugs and ground wire.

·
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks Doug

I just went out and put a cassette in the deck. It switches back and forth and plays fine. But whatever direction I stop it at..That arrow shows in the screen, left or right. Put a tape cleaner in also. No change.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
imported post

OK...just went and checked mine....when selecting the tape...the arrow shows up...so seems to be normal. Can you select the radio? You might want to take the radio off and check to make sure the ground wire is still connected to the radio. It is a green wire coming out of the harness and secured to a screw that hold the radio in the plastic.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Hawggy wrote:
...Now, How hard is it to take the radio out? I have a manual, just haven't consulted it.
Per snorebaby... a little more detail HERE

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

Doesarrow display when your ignition is off and the key is out? If it does there is probably a wiring problem or a fault with the ignition switch.

·
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I have a blank screen when key is out. If I turn it on to aux or start. I get the clock and that arrow as per the pic I posted.

The radio plays fine with no problems.

I disconnected the neg cable and hooked the test light up this morning between the post and the cable. No Pulsating light came onin the tester . So as of now I have no drain on the battery.

Obviously something is wrong in the cassette player. Will I damage anything by spraying in some more of that Radio Shack Tuner cleaner into the cassette player?

Bob

·
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Another quick update.

If I leave the cassette in the player and switch to the radio function, I have no arrow on the dash and no leakage coming out between the disconnected negative cable and the negative post. Obviously it is the changing mechanism on thecassette player that is causing all my trouble.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
imported post

If all else failsyou could trySierra Electronics.http://www.sierra-mc.com/ They have a minimum charge of about $100.00 but many times that covers the cost of repair. If the repair is going to cost more, they will give you an estimate before completing the job. They are "Good People"!

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

So if you turn the radio off at the knob, does the pulsating drain stop? Is an alarm (or alarm dummy) fitted?

·
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

If I leave the radio on and shut the bike down. The pulsating stops. If I leave it on the cassette palyer and shut down the pulsating is there.

It is definitly in the cassette player that is causing the problem. I will pull it out and have it repaired.

Thanks everyone for your help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.