Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok, I have almost finished disabling and capping off the air injection systen that was making all the noise, and now find I have another problem, though not related. I have air leaks around the thin plastic cover that goes on top of the cast aluminum plenum. All the screws are in place, they are the correct shouldered screws, and the gasket is in place. Because this leak is on the ilet side of the injectors, it does not affect the way the bike runs. But my concern is dirt is going to get in where the leaks are. I found it by accident, I sprayed some carb cleaner in the area, and the engine died. I did it again, and quickly found the leaks. It looks to me like the only way to fix it would be to remove the entire plenum box, seal the top on it with silicone or RTV, let it cure completely, and reinstall the box. The cover is a tight fit between the top of the box and the frame, so it would not be possible to do that with the box in place, it would just smear the silicone all over the place when you tried to slide the cover back on. Anyone have any other ideas? Jerry.

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
imported post

Please don't use RTV silicone, it will destroy some plastics. Get some sticky back foam sealing tape and stick it around the sealing surface.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Please don't use RTV silicone, it will destroy some plastics. Get some sticky back foam sealing tape and stick it around the sealing surface.
Also RTV silicone and gasoline don't play nice together, even the gasoline fumes in the air box will destroy the RTV.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

am i correct that the lid of the plennum box is leaking? if so then the filter will get the dust and dirt

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

sctrucker wrote:
am i correct that the lid of the plennum box is leaking? if so then the filter will get the dust and dirt
The lid of the air box is under the filter so any leak there is introducing unfiltered air.

As the gasket is no longer available the suggestion by DaveO430 is probably the best bet.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

ok, rereading the post i understand, the leak is air box to plenum, not airbox lid to airbox

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

The plenum has a very thin rectangular top, secured with several screws around the edges. the airbox is bolted to the top of that with more screws. There is a seal between the airbox and plenum cover, which is not leaking, and another seal between the flat piece the airbox is attached to and the plenum itself, and that is where the leak is. There is no way to get to the edges all the way around without removing it.

I know gas and silicone don't go together, but there is no gas in this area. This is an LTD with fuel injection, and the entire intake system only provides air to the intake ports. The injectors sit way below this box, attached to the manifolds, and inject gas into the air stream just above the intake ports.

I appreciate the information, it looks like everything is going to have to come apart, and even then some kind of sealant that fills gaps will be required. Silicone would be perfect, aside form the gas issue, but I don't believe gas will be anywhere near it. I had this cover off right after I got it, a couple of the screws were missing, but the seal was there. It is more of an 0-ring than a gasket. It is very hard to get out from between the plenum and the frame. Anyway, the seal looked good, I replaced the missing screws with the correct ones, and reinstalled it. I'm sure it was probably leaking before I removed it, there were leaks everywhere. Mostly vacuum lines.

The actual problem seems to be that the cover is very thin plastic, and is slightly warped. The leaks are about midway between each screw, where there is a gap you can actually stick a thin feeler gauge through. If it were accessible, it should be fairly easy to fix without removing, but it is buried deep, right in the middle of all the intake plumbing and FI fuel rails.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Just to be sure, you're talking about gasket #8 between the airbox #15 and lid #12, right?

Attachments

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Yep, that's it. And the gasket is there. I had that all apart right after I got the bike a couple months ago. The leaks are about halfway between most of the screws that hold the lid to the box. That lid is really thin flexible plastic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.