Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.......start 'er up after a oil/filter change...........3-4 seconds and the darn oil pressure light is still on ! Quick, kill the engine..............I hadn't tightened the oil filter cap bolt enough, oil pouring out of the cap. Glad I hadn't moved the drain pan yet, lol. Was tightened to spec, but guess the cap/bolt "catched" and gave a false reading because I was able to re-tighten it to spec.
Oil light then immediately went off per normal. :D Fortunately those few seconds don't appear to have been a problem; took 'er for a twenty mile jaunt to celebrate.

·
Registered
'93 GL1500 Aspencade '80 GL1100 STD Vetter
786 Posts
Kinda reminds me of starting the 1100 while forgetting to put the oil fill cap back on. Oil, Oil Everywhere....

Reactions: limpy45 and Mailman

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
I had a similar problem once when I changed the oil on my GL1500. When I removed and replaced the filter, unbeknownest to me, the filter gasket from the old filter was stuck to the engine. I put the new filter on over it and, when I started the engine, the oil pressure light did not go out. I looked under the bike and oil was gushing out on the floor. I did not leave the oil pan under it as you did. I had a big mess to clean up afterwards. I felt rather foolish for making such a bonehead mistake but it happens.

Reactions: Mailman

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a similar problem once when I changed the oil on my GL1500. When I removed and replaced the filter, unbeknownest to me, the filter gasket from the old filter was stuck to the engine. I put the new filter on over it and, when I started the engine, the oil pressure light did not go out. I looked under the bike and oil was gushing out on the floor. I did not leave the oil pan under it as you did. I had a big mess to clean up afterwards. I felt rather foolish for making such a bonehead mistake but it happens.
So far this month I've made a mess with fork oil and engine oil. Hmmmm............that must mean a coolant mess is next ! :LOL:

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
My friend George changed oil on his GL1500 and the old gasket stuck to the block. He jumped on the bike and took off then stopped at a traffic light about three block from the house. Started to take off and the rear wheel spun out from oil on the pavement (lucky he didn't go down). He has never done that again....!!:D

I know a guy who tuned up (spark plugs, points and condenser) a 1950 Chevy one day. After the tune up it was missing like crazy. He spent about an hour trying to figure out what was wrong. Finally, he pulled the spark plugs out, one had not been gapped at all (electrode mashed closed). He (Me) never did that again...!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts