Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an '82 Aspencade with about 72,000 miles on it. I bought it last summer and never got it finished before winter hit so I only rode it about 60 miles home before tearing the body apart to paint. It did seem to clunk a little hard when changing gears but not that excessive. The PO said he had a new clutch installed but I don’t know really what was done or by who. I changed the timing belts, oil, brakes, and a few odds and ends so far. The problem started the last week or so when I wanted to start it up. I can't get it into neutral. I tried to move the gearshift but it didn’t sound like it was changing the gears. I can turn the rear tire so it doesn’t seem to be locked up. Do you thing the cold weather could be affecting it. The last time I started it was probably in September. Where do I start looking?

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

sounds like a oil weigh problem, check the clutch cable adjustment also, when the engine is off can you shift between gears?. you dont need to pull the clutch with the engine off so it makes no difference.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I'm at work so I don't remember what weight oil I used but followed the recomendations from here. I can't get the engine running is how I discovered the problem. I had left it in neutral while I was doing the painting and would start it up every week or so. I tried with the clutch in and out and no difference. It just doesn't seem to be moving between the gears right to me. Now the last bike I had was a Sportster back in 72 and haven't rode since then but I could feel it move a little differently the this one is. I think since the neutral light isn't coming on is why the engine isn't turning over. I did remove the fairing, is their a wire there that would need connected? I have a red light on instead of the green one.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

if the wheel moves freely and the last time you started it she remained in neutral. should still be in neutral. what is weird is that the lever is not moving gears, roll the bike back and forth while pushing and pulling the lever see if it gets on gear. check the engine oil. do you have other lights coming on, the red light should be the oil light? check your battery. even if the neutral light is not ON. there is another trick to start the bike on any gear. this is pulling the clutch lever all the way in, it has a switch you should listen a click click. if this doesn't work check the switch and spray it with some wd40. or even bypass the solenoid to get the engine to spin and move all the gears inside.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

Liverpool wrote:
I'm at work so I don't remember what weight oil I used but followed the recomendations from here. I can't get the engine running is how I discovered the problem. I had left it in neutral while I was doing the painting and would start it up every week or so. I tried with the clutch in and out and no difference. It just doesn't seem to be moving between the gears right to me. Now the last bike I had was a Sportster back in 72 and haven't rode since then but I could feel it move a little differently the this one is. I think since the neutral light isn't coming on is why the engine isn't turning over. I did remove the fairing, is their a wire there that would need connected? I have a red light on instead of the green one.
The red light coming on would most likely be the warning light for oil pressure. Not running = no oil pressure = warning light on.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

You're right, that is the oil light. (I really need more light in thyat garage). I guess I didn't see the green neutral light and thought that was it. I'll try pushing it this weekend and see what happens. It has a new battery and seems to be charged. Let me see what happens when I take it off the center stand and move it. Thanks for the quick responses and have a merry Christmas.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Liverpool,

Try running a jumper from your positve side of your battery to your starter. Make sure you have the Kill switch in the "On" Position, which is the center. You shold never spin your starter for more that 5 seconds at a tome, wait 15 seconds, and try it again.

Good Luck,

Nightrider1

Liverpool wrote:
I have an '82 Aspencade with about 72,000 miles on it. I bought it last summer and never got it finished before winter hit so I only rode it about 60 miles home before tearing the body apart to paint. It did seem to clunk a little hard when changing gears but not that excessive. The PO said he had a new clutch installed but I don’t know really what was done or by who. I changed the timing belts, oil, brakes, and a few odds and ends so far. The problem started the last week or so when I wanted to start it up. I can't get it into neutral. I tried to move the gearshift but it didn’t sound like it was changing the gears. I can turn the rear tire so it doesn’t seem to be locked up. Do you thing the cold weather could be affecting it. The last time I started it was probably in September. Where do I start looking?

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I can get it to turnover at a normal speed if I hold the clutch in but for some reason it won't start. This thing ALWAYS fired right up. I tried pushing it and it's definately stuck in gear. The shifter only seems to be going to a couple of gears and seems to be at the end of its travel. I can't find neutral at all. I won't have time to look at it this weekend (got to put an oil pump in the Windstar) but I have a feeling that if (and when) I get it started and get the oil warmed up it will behave a little better. Amazing how things break themself.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

most wings wont travel around all gears when the bike is not moving no matter if the engine is on or off. you got to roll the bike back and forth to get from 1st to 5th,

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

I hope no body minds me jumping in here, but I have a neuteral light problem also, the neutral light only works when I'm in 4th gear. when I bought it the po told me that the previous po wired it that way so he knew when he was in passing gear, but I cant figure out where he changed the wiring to make this happen??? help

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

big dog, im not really an expert on the 1100s but as far as i know the 1100 has vacuum advance for the timing, meaning that the 4th gear has no switch, the neutral switch must installed in a wrong way, when you take the front cover and install it back you must align the switch with other pieces in there or it wont work.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

William_86 wrote:
most wings wont travel around all gears when the bike is not moving no matter if the engine is on or off. you got to roll the bike back and forth to get from 1st to 5th,
I figure if I can get it started on the center stand and let the cluch out I can get it to switch gears then. That thing is way to heavy for me to push and try to shift. Maybe this weekend if I get the windstar fixed. Thanks for the help, I asked a couple of questions about the windstar on a different board and for the most part all I got was smart answers. This board has real biker types on it,not a bunch of internet phonies.

Off track a little bit but a quick story. Back in '73 I had a new Harley and true to fashion, it broke down and could hardly run, Miles from home in the middle of nowhere of course. A rider on another Harley saw me and turned around, I didn't know this guy from Adam and frankly was glad I had a gun on me. He told me he lived close and offered to help me with my problem. I didn't have a lot of options so I limped the bike to this shack. I still felt uneasy but was still young and tough. He opened the kitchen door, pulled the table outside, and proceeded to pull the bike in and started working on it. He took me to a harley shop over 40 miles away, I got the part, and we got it running again. This was a true biker. He didn't want anything in return, just was glad to help. Bob Hooks died last year but his spirit lives in the people on this board. I see the same willingness to help that stranger. I'm the quiet type and lurk here a lot, but appreciate the help. Bob did have a Wing before he died by the way...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.