Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know this may sound dumb but is there a "secret" as to how to get the bike onto the center stand?

I'm guessing my main problem is that I don't have enough lead in my butt. I'm 5'5" and 150#s soaking wet with change in my pockets.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

TIA

Buzz

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

if you would like to do a search of the forum there is quite bit of information about this.

they go up quite easily for a big bike its just a bit of knack, stand up close, facing the bike on the left hand side, about center of the bike.

Get someone to stand on the other side of the bike, if you not sure, and ensure that the road is level.

place left hand on the handlebar grip, and right hand on the grip under the passenger seat.

with your right foot, push the center stand down until it hits the road/ pavement etc. then let the bike gently rock away from you, until you feel the other side of the stand, hit the pavement, then in one movement, push down your right foot, and lift with your right hand. and up she will go.

good luck,

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

oldishwinger wrote:
...push down your right foot, and lift with your right hand. and up she will go...
> I would add, use the Heal of your right foot to push down... and actually Stand on the pad to the centerstand, using your weight (more so than muscle) to lift the bike up.

> Also, if you still have problems, try Greasing the axle to the centerstand... that often makes it M-U-C-H easier!!!

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Don't forget to wear shoes/boots with a sturdy sole. A soft one will cause you to apply less foot pressure...

·
Premium Member
12,056 Posts
imported post

I'm also 150 pounds soaking wet what helps me is
having at least 35 lbs of air in the rear shocks
as it put the frame a little higher off the ground.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

I have found getting it up on center stand isn't that bad if you do it like the others said. what I have found is on mine getting it off the stand can be a real challenge you may want to have someone else there just in case to help get her down if it doesn't want to come off. A little scarey trying to get a 800 pound bike off a center stand when it doesn't want to come off by yourself.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I knew there was a secret!!!! Simple physics and common sense!!

Thanks to all for this tidbitfrom thegoldwing cornicopoia of knowledge!!

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

I don't understand why you little guys always seem to get on the scales only when soaking wet, don't you have towels??:action::action::action::action::action::action::action: Sorry, I have been reading too many of D-Rod's posts again. :sadguy::sadguy::sadguy::sadguy:;););)

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

I came up with a sollution that keeps the bike level all the time. I removed the center stand and attached a sidecar.

:cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts

·
ɹoᴉuǝS ɯoʇsnƆ
2,631 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Goldwinger wrote:
I don't understand why you little guys always seem to get on the scales only when soaking wet, don't you have towels??:action::action::action::action::action::action::action: Sorry, I have been reading too many of D-Rod's posts again. :sadguy::sadguy::sadguy::sadguy:;););)
I've tried it dry and the dang scale doesn't register!!

I have tried three times so far to get it on the center stand and no luck...yet.

It seems that when I am standing on the stand and grab the handle I am already extended and unable to lift the rear. This is exasperating!!

Perseverance will prevail

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Have someone else there the first couple of times you do it for balance sake, then you will your confidence up after that.

YOU CAN DO IT...........YOU CAN DO IT--- ALL NIGHT LONG !

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
imported post

Chewman, I guess you leave the bike in gear or in reverse to stop it rolling forward off the Power Park?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

I stop on a 1x6 board all is easy then.(75 GL1000)

·
ɹoᴉuǝS ɯoʇsnƆ
2,631 Posts
imported post

nico wrote:
Chewman, I guess you leave the bike in gear or in reverse to stop it rolling forward off the Power Park?
If I'm on flat level ground, no, it will not go anywhere. It rises up enough to be pretty steady. You still have to "push" it off.

If I'm on uneven ground, I'll use the side stand and yes, leave it in gear.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
imported post

Another key is to put a 70 series tire on the back rather than the standard 60 series. It makes it MUCH[/b] easier to get on the center stand, and a bonus with 70 series is that it corrects the optimistic speedometer to dead on.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

I’ve never heard anybody else say this but I think that putting in neutral helps as the bike needs to roll back to go up. Extra weight in the bags also makes it harder to lift.

Three things at once. Put all your weight on the stand by standing on it. Lift up and back with right hand on seat handle. Left hand on handle grip keep wheel straight and bike straight up. All this to be done at once in a quick jerk.

Taller folks have a leverage advantage while pulling up, but standing on the hitch raises you up. As earlier said if the suspension is low it makes it harder as the center stand is lower than ideal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.