Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've been looking for a bit of a buzzing sound in my bike for the past year, sounded like tin vibrating or perhaps a leak in the exhaust. Today I got around to replacing the rubber alternator coupler isolators on my 1500 and lo and behold the sound is gone. Really sounds good idling now. The old isolators were hard as rocks from old age and heat. I think they were originals, I've had a set of replacements on the bench for several months but just didn't get around to changing them until now. Should have done it long ago. Moral of the story: If you have a 1500 and haven't changed the alternator isolators you ought to do it.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
imported post

Mmm. Perhaps I should do that. It sure wouldn't hurt.

I took a scoot today. It was spur of the moment. Should have called you or come by. It looks like rain tomorrow.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Easy job, only trick is turning the alternator 'round and 'round to get it back in. If that thing was any larger you'd have to pull the engine to get it in and out.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I put a Compufire and a new set of isolators in my '88 a couple months ago. The Compufire is a bit larger than the stocker.

Fun to get back into that little hole. As I was fighting it back in there, I just looked over at the 1200 - and was glad I was "alternatoring"the 1500. :)

Did you check the nut on the drive coupling ?? Mine was finger loose !!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yep, good'n tight!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.