Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have searched the archives for painting articles. I didn't find too much. What I am looking to do is have my wifes 2003 re painted in one of the yellow colors. She is really crazy about the yellow.

I plan on taking all the plastic off this winter, and taking to a reputable paint shop. Is there anything in particular that needs to be done to the plastic ? Or would a reputable paint shop know how to approach a job like this?

Any comments you guys may have would be appreciated. What should something like this cost?

Tim :bat:

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
imported post

If you want the work to be gauranteed, the shop should do all prepwork...

As far as the cost, how long do you want it to last ? I would expect to pay around

$ 1,000 for a paint job worth a darn...

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

No problem with them doing the prepwork......I would only take it apart and put back together.

I'm sure I'd like it to last as long as the original paint.

Thanks for the reply.

Tim :bat:

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

I asked my local Maaco shop if they would do my 87 1200 and they said yes. They had just done my wife's car, real good job. I took the 20 pieces off and they did all the prep work. $250 later and looks better than new. I did the pinstriping when I got it back and final clearcoat. The only thing I didn't do was the top rear fender that you really can't see but was a perfect match. The pinstripe was less than $30 from Stripman.com and you can get about any combination of colors and comes in 150' roll and corners real nice. I'll bet they won't do one like this again for $250 but I was happy. I can email pics if you want to see it. I can't figure out how to download all to this site. Paul

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I would suggest a pro do it, unless you are set up for it. I would stay with a better(read more expensive) paint material, and stick with a complete system that uses a hardener in its makeup. If you clear it yourself, get the same clear for that system so it is compatible with the color. PM me if I can help, I'm a finisher. jimsjinx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.