Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hey guys. I have been having some issues with the ol girl and decided to pull the carbs off once more. Good thing I did because I foiund some new crap in there that seafoam must have loosened up.

#4 main jet was filthy and all slow jets were clogged.....Or should I say are.

I was able to clear 2 of them with bread bag wire tie. Alumminum doesnt mar the brass.

But now I have 2 very stubborn slow jets. The wire I was using is too soft and wont go through. I hgave tried the boiling, oven cleaner, carb cleaner, and acetone.

Is there such a thing as a .0035 drill bit. I really wano get this together today before night fall.

At the t9imie its my only transportation.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

Get hold of some cellulose thinners and let it soak for a few days first, make sure you don't have any rubber parts in the dip of the thinners will ruin them. Battery acid can work too but might be harder to come by in some areas.

Drilling jets has to be a very last resort.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
imported post

The wires plucked from wire brushes or wire wheels works well. I have resorted to my welding tip cleaners on occasion....be gentle!

·
Administrator
26,996 Posts
imported post

the smallest torch tip cleaner I can find is .025" about 2X too big.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

Lacquer thinner will work, if you let it soaked, make sure all rubber is removed. lacquer thinner will eat rubber.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
imported post

Lime a way or CLR will also work wonders cleaning the carbs.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
Is there such a thing as a .0035 drill bit. I really wano get this together today before night fall.
Yes, you can get drill bits down to that size in a set from Harbor Freight. I've got a set, the smallest is hair fine. Get a pin vise or something like that to hold it because they are THIN!

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Ok . I was able to clear the clogged jet with guitar string.

It was not my idea and I felt really dumb for not thinking it as I just changed my guitar strings and remember commenting on how thin and stiff they were.

I used a b string incase anyone needs this info. Only about $1.98 but if you are like me ( cheap) ask the music shop if they mind you grabbing scrap from the trash bin. They usually string guiatrs for customers and the strings come in long lengths and have to be cut.

B string did it. My carb is back together just waiting for an early day from work to start reinstalling them.

Thanks for all the infoi and hope this helps someone out there.

Thanks to a triumph rider.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.