Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The speedo on my 84 aspencade has stopped working on the last two outings on the bike. The LCD display
of the MPH and RPM's work fine for several miles, and then when I get up to around 70MPH the MPH display
quits, and the RPM sorta stays around 3500.

Is there a bad sensor I should look for or could this all come from a bad gear in the front wheel?

Thanks for any help,
Wayne C.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

It could be a short or a bad connection caused by vibration. I've seen used LCD tachs on ebay at a reasonable price around $50 US. It could be a simple as a loose connection once you get it up to speed. You may need to take it out and have an electrician look at the circuit board. Good luck!! :waving:WyoWinger

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

If memory serves me right (lately it doesn't serve me at all), it seems the voltage supply to the LCD has peaked at the indicatedspeed which indicates either aloose wire connection or corroded contact in the back of the pc board of the speedometer. Moisture can be blown in behind there when riding in the rain and sit on the back of the board causing corrosion over a long period of time. Also, take the wheel sensor off the front wheel (GENTLY), and dissassemble it.. Clean it thoroughly, lubricate it with gun oil (light machine oil if gun oil is not available) and re-assemble. If the sensor is dried out and hard to turn, it will not create enough voltage to satisfiy the receiver in the LCD.

:leprechaun::santawaving:

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Do the easy and cheap things first. Clean thewheel sender first before looking at the other end.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Wayne,

Will the thing keep working if you keep below 70mph? Is it speed or the amount of time you ride that initiates the problem?

Since the tachgets its input from the spark unit and the speedo gets its input from the speed senson on thefront wheel, it would appear to me that the problem is in the circuit board in the display assembly.

Personally I'm of the opinion that it's most likely to be in the instrument panel electronics since it's unlikely that both sensors or wiring would simultaneously fail. These units come up on eBay often and would seem to me to be the easiest way to go. I had to do that to get my trip computer intermittants corrected.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks to all for the information. I pulled and cleaned the sender on the front wheel. It was coraoded bad and hard to turn, but after cleaning I checked it by turning with an electric drill and it is working ok now. I've not had a chance tho ride because of the weather, and when I do I will let you know if sender or something else.

Exavid, now that you bring it up I am not sure if it is releated to speed or time. The last two times it quit, I was into the ride about 45 minutes.

Wayne

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.