Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After following all the posts lately about bad connectors I thought I should check mine out. Glad I did!

Thanks to all you guys out there that keep all us who are blissfully unaware going down the road!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Smooth move AZW. Seems like you found the emminant problem before a disaster grounded you... Good work.. Stay in tune with this site just in case we stumble upon something else... Renegade

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I've been through Yuma, AZ. The connector melted like that from the Summer heat.

Raymond

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Speaking of bad connectors, had a visit from a Goldwinger who pulled his engine and stator because it wouldnt charge. Stator was like new - bad wiring.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

AZWinger,

Your connector looks worse than mine,,,and that is not good,,,,,,I am wondering if you put a wireing harness on your bike or if you just got rid of the connector,, I did both and am very happy I did, My Bike is running Great, I thought it was already running perfect, but the DC wireing harness made a definate difference in performance.

Dean

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Dean,

I just cut out the connector for now. I agree that I shouldreplace the whole harness. I think Daves harness is only for the 1200 but will go to his web site and check. If itwill work onmy 1100 I think I'll go ahead and order one.

Bob

P.S. I checked his site. Looks like I'll be sending him a check tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Bob,

Let me know how you like it, I think you will be suprised...

Dean

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Dean, I have a kit of ignition parts to send you, havent forgotten. Having problems finding the right sized box:gunhead:

Bob - for fun, do you (have you) seen traces of grease in or around that connector? That is what the damage from putting grease in them has looked like in the past.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Dave,

Thanks, I am looking forward to getting them...no hurry, The last 2 days the temperature has been in the 80s here and I just can't stop ridding...My Bike is running so good I can not get enough...The Boost in performance is Great from the harness. If the Ignition parts make it any better I may not be able to keep the front wheel on the ground......haa

Dean

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Naw, the Harness just put it back where it was stock. The next parts you get will put it over the edge horsepower wise. Step by step, inch by inch towards driveshaft breaking torque....

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Dave,

If we can get it to run as good as my first bike, then we can really say something..

see photo....

Attachments

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

THAt is impressive, what year was it produced? About 2-5 hp? The odd thing is that automotive engineering has progressed very little from the 1920s to today if one discounts the computers and exotic materials. Basic design is the same, right up to high pressure fuel injection, lean burn and goofy cylinder head designs. Its all been done before.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

It is a 1953 Wizard Simplex Model M, I got it in 1956 when I was 10, not sure what hp, ..it had 2 gas capsand 2 spark plugs,completely belt driven. My dog used to ride on the gas tank ...I believe the wheels were 26 inch,,,the rear wheel had a V belt pulley all the way around the rim....It was named " The Purple People Eater" for the song at the time....
March 30, 1953 flyer announced that the 1953 Simplex 125 included as standard equipment an ignition lock with two keys. Also, "chromium-covered twin exhaust pipes" were offered as optional equipment. Other updates included "stronger connecting rod bearings; the crankshaft is heat-treated chrome-molybdenum steel; larger heavier tires have been fitted on all models; twist grips are improved; kick starters are reinforced; a sturdier headlight mounting."

In September of 1953, Simplex mailed a Dealer Price List and Order Blank to their dealers, which stated that in order to charge a uniform price for their product throughout the country, their wholesale prices would include freight and excise fees. The price of a Simplex 125 was listed as $223 dealer and $298 retail. A Simplex Automatic was $234 dealer and $314 retail. Both models were available in Maroon, Blue, Green or Red.

In 1954, due to popular demand, Simplex made the twin exhaust pipes standard equipment on the Automatic, and they came black with polished aluminum covers. The new brake pedal was rubber covered, as were the floorboards. Again, four colors were offered: "Rich, lustrous Maroon; Deep, brilliant Blue; Sparkling Green; and Bright Red. Tank decals are Bright Red trimmed in Cream."

In the mid to late '50's, changes were made to the engine and chassis. Beginning about 1957, a larger 150cc engine displacement was offered. Items such as a speedometer were added, and the Sportsman was introduced which had footpegs instead of the familiar floorboards. For a short time, Simplex also provided Western Auto with a re-badged model called the "Wizard". At the time, most Western Auto products from paint to lawn mowers carried the Wizard name. This was a short-lived arrangement, and the model was dropped after about a year.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Thought it was older than 1950s. Western Auto is still around, wonder what theyd say if you called to order parts?

Sanfelice, try deleting the board "cookie" Ive had some trouble also.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Dean,

I'll let you know how it works out. I have thought my charging gauge was acting kind of sluggish for awhile now. Volts dropped way down while at a stop light especially if I kept the brake lights on.I also noticed that the time it takes the charging system to recover and show a charge when moving was taking longer. Especially after the bike got good and hot. I'm thinking this new harness will help. I'm hoping it will help my mileage too. I average 37mpg on the highway. If not I'll start looking at other things. I haven't had the bike out since I cut out the connector. It has actually been raining! A rare event around here.

I love your first bike!

Dave,

I didn't see any sign of grease ever being applied to the connector. I sprayed some WD40 in it while trying to separate it. It was welded together pretty tight!

Checks in the mail!

sanfelice,

Did you get the link to work? If not I could e-mail it to you if you want.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Charging voltage dropping at idle and 35 mpg are typical of bad wiring. If charging jumps up to over 14, Id guess the stator is still good. But who know for how long...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Long as we're showing our first rides, I had a Cushman 4hp model 54 much like this one. No front brake, no brake light, and the headlight only worked at full throttle, below that it dimmed down to a romantic candle light effect.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Paul,

I love the old Cushmans, my Dad used to buy the old cushmans for $5 to $30 and rebuild them, I rode all types of cushmans, also had a harley 165, at one time, I had a 3 wheel cushman made from a cushman eagle on the back and a small sports car on the front , I think about 25mph was as fast as it would run downhill....ha...those were the days,,,Fun Fun Fun The lighting was not much as you said, Nowdays those simplex bikes are selling for anywhere from $3500 to $5000, the cushmans are expensive also,,,we should have held on to them...

Dean

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.