Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi

I just got my spare rim and was preparing to order a Kumho tire, did some research and the tire I may order is a summer tire. Which essentially means it will harden up or "glass over " at around 30 Degrees F. I commute and ride more than a few days to work in the teens. So the easy answer is order an all season.

Now this has me thinking. Is a typicall motorcycle tire automatically a summer tire? Maybe the Bridgstone M/C tire is hardening up in the cold and I am not aware of this. Does anyone have any info on this? I might re think my winter driving habits if it is, and it would be good info for everyone else in a cold climate.

Thank You Tom

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Motorcycle tires contain additives, called VOC's , please do not ask me to explain that because I am not an college professor. But they do have additives in the tire compound to keep the tires flexible to a degree even in colder temps. This is one of the reasons most information on the tires quite simply tell you not to use them if over five years old.

On the common sense side of things, as far as I know, I have never seen or heard of any complaints or issues with anyone riding a motorcycle experiencing traction problems due to colder temperatures.

Also tires do heat up as they get used, and are designed to come up to operating temperature quite quickly. This is engineered into the tire also, many, many factors are thought about by engineers when they design a tire, many more things than one would normally think about.

As far as my favorite tire the Kumho I would simply caution you to heed the warning of the manufacturer. That particular tire is a silicone type tread compound, it is designed to be used above freezing temperatures. I have rode mine down to 15 degrees or so and have not experienced any traction situations, but you can tell the tread is not as flexible at those temps. The special silicone compound of the tire, grips like glue in warm temps, and wears like iron because the compound is very wear resistant. Mine took right at 5000 miles to wear the letters off the surface of the center tread rib, the tire is designed for a car and with the light weight of the motorcycle, it appears it will be a long time before it wears out.

Perhaps the Dunlop 3D wintersport 175/60/16 Run Flat would be a better choice for you in the colder climate. That is a mud and snow tire with winter tread and winter compound.

As for motorcycle tires losing traction simpy due to cold weather, I used to live in Oregon and did ride a motorcycle when I should not have been doing so, on ice and snow, and in some very cold temps. I never noticed any difference in tractions simply due to cold weather, but ice and snow and black ice is a whole different situation, and extreme care is to be used under those conditions, and knowing what I know today, it is simply time to park a motorcycle when those conditions are present. And to be very aware of the black ice situation in the transition periods during fall and spring.

Hope this helps.

Kit

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Kit

I am coutious I only ride dry roads in winter. I thought about the Wintersport tirebut realy don't want a lower profile tire, if anything I would preferr a taller tire. It may be pchycological but I like the lowest RPM's on the highway. I have an open mind but I am still leaning towards Kumho.

Tom

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Revolutions per mile for the 195/55/16 are 825

Revolutions per mile for the 175/60/16 are 830

Kit

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I think the main difference between a 'summer' tire and a 'winter' one would be the tread pattern. I really doubt that the rubber compound would be that much different. I've ridden my bike down to +23F with Dunlop E3s and haven't noticed any traction difference. I guarantee you that at -30F tires canget pretty hard. I used to ride my 125 Yamaha Trail bike on frozen sea ice and across the hard packed snow of the Arctic coast at those temps. I did cheat though and usually kept the bike in a warm shelter to make it easier to start. I was also a lot younger than and had a lot more antifreeze in my blood. (No it wasn't that kind, I was just more impervious then)

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks

I did read on some tire web sites that summer tires do actually harden up around 30 Deg. Maybe i'm being a little pickey, just trying to do my homework and chose the most appropriatetire for me.

Tom

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

On an "all weather"car tire, the tread rubber compounds 'harden', becoming less flexible,as you get near freezing and a 'winter' tire is made to remain flexible to much lower temps for better traction, but will wear faster because of that softer rubber compound, especially in warmer temps(>35*)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, but don't forget motorcycle tires come in more ranges of 'hardness' or 'softness' depending on the kind of use they'll be put to, softer for twisty carving and harder for touring. With all that kind of variation I suspect the 'winter' tires would fall in that range anyway.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Agreed, Paul.

When I had my GL1000, I would occasionally take her out for a spin in mid Feb/March, when the roads allowed for most of the centre lane showing and never had a problem with traction from my Continentals and the temps were below 0F. Course .... I wasn't heavy on the throttle hand either.

I'd park my sled and fire up the bike, letting her come up to temperature and then go for a 20-30 mile ride. A snowmobile suit makes for pretty warm riding gear. ;)

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
imported post

Ive got a Kenda Kruz on the back of mine an have had it out around 20 degs. Never notice a difference. There is a dunlop on the front ( I think a 404). It did fine but its almost bald. Im putting a new matching Kenda on the front just because the back is new. But I have no complaints with the Kenda on the back except road noise in a turn.....I think thats what it is!

Anyone had any bad luck with the Kenda?

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

85pawingnut wrote:
Ive got a Kenda Kruz on the back of mine an have had it out around 20 degs. Never notice a difference. There is a dunlop on the front ( I think a 404). It did fine but its almost bald. Im putting a new matching Kenda on the front just because the back is new. But I have no complaints with the Kenda on the back except road noise in a turn.....I think thats what it is!

Anyone had any bad luck with the Kenda?
85, I have seen Kenda 19" & 17" which my book says I need on my 78 1000, on fleabay cheap.
So I have been wondering how the performance of the Kenda is also.
Others, Please speak-up with opinions.
Thanks, Patrick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.