Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 1977 GL1000. It got almost 69000 on it. It was ridden all over places. The left head gasket got shot, and it was parked for years. The bike was my wife's uncle. He had no desire to restore it. I brought to life his Honda CB400T that was seating in the woods for more than 15 years. He did not even recognize the bike. That bike became wife's bike, and I got 1975 CB750F for myself. With no projects around, I attempted to get the Wing to start. I started with rebuilding the carbs, and while I was almost done with them I wanted to turn over the engine. And yes, the engine was frozen. Here is the thread for that.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/621041-seized-engine.html

And some Pics when I started

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Stripped that bike and started tearing the engine apart. I soaked the frozen pistons for weeks with all kind of penetrating oil. Not of them freed the rings, but I am sure it helped with I decided to use a peace of wood and hammered the piston. That worked right the way.
So, the engine was all teared apart, and I was looking at the main bearings that were worn out. And of course, it took me weeks to to finds a replacement for them. I was talking to Wingovations and he made a tip just for that http://www.wingovations.com/choosing-your-crank-bearings/4588152247
I couldn't find the connecting rod bearings, so I reused those old ones. And they weren't that bad, just a normal wear.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I rebuilt the oil pump, and I replaced the main chain. The old chain had a big play, and I didn't like that. And of course I did hone the cylinders and painted the blocks.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the way WingOvations is selling the main bearings I thing.
All the engine parts were installed and torqued.The halves were backed together, and I took a little break waiting for frame to dry.
When I got back to it I noticed two empty holes. Didn't care for moment as I thought they were threaded. But later I learned it was the oil guide and needs to be inside.
Took the engine apart again and inserted the guide. Yay, so proud of myself (Not yet)

A thread for my question here http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/631985-gl1000-left-cylinder-block.html

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was really excited with all the work I've done so far. The Wing is almost to breath again. I was actually setting the points. New timing built was adjusted, but adjusting the timing is a pin in the neck. At this point, I did not attempt to fire the engine. I don't know why but I really didn't. I think because I didn't have engine coolant.
So the Wing looks ready, right!?
Not yet

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had one little thing left. I had no clue what it was for. When I boxed the Wing, I had the outside components aside and the engine parts the other side. Made sure didn't mix them. But apparently I did.
I asked here for help, and members answers were so funny. From crack pipe to deer flute, this was oil feed for the internal main chain. Thank to John J http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/124210-john-j.html
With the bike ready to fire I took it apart and inserted the deer whistle there.
The thread for the question http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/638346-what-thing.html

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cleaned the carbs like 100 times to get it run the way I wanted or it should. I did however damage the number 1 carb, so I put a different carb from different model. It fits perfectly the the others, but I am sure the internal passage are different.
I just couldn't find the correct carb 644.
Randakk's carb kit was installed and I appreciate his help too.
I took her for a ride yesterday, and it felt so comfortable. Not much power yet as the carbs still hang when I rev it. But I did fix that later, and of course today it a rainy day on CT, so tomorrow then it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At the same time, the Wing is competing with a 1975 CB750F for attention. I was having some charging system issues, and I was about to rewire the bike then I decided to use the Motogadget M-Unit. It got the wiring in halve and it makes rewiring easy and neat. Plus it has some features and functionalities I really like. The momentary push buttons I got off ebay make the handlebars nice and clean.
In the near future, I will do the same to the Wing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Great job -- what did it feel like when you realized you had to pull and split the engine for the oil pump?

I love that color -- what is it?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great job -- what did it feel like when you realized you had to pull and split the engine for the oil pump?

I love that color -- what is it?
I thought to put the bike aside for another time, but after grabbing a bear I found myself tearing it down.
The color is a candy paint. Grabber Orange from Auto Air Colors http://www.autoaircolors.com/paints/4654.html Manufactured in Connecticut :|

·
Registered
8 Posts
At the same time, the Wing is competing with a 1975 CB750F for attention. I was having some charging system issues, and I was about to rewire the bike then I decided to use the Motogadget M-Unit. It got the wiring in halve and it makes rewiring easy and neat. Plus it has some features and functionalities I really like. The momentary push buttons I got off ebay make the handlebars nice and clean.
Was it hard to convert it to the M-unit wiring?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Was it hard to convert it to the M-unit wiring?
Not very hard. Just do one system at a time.
I like to start with ignition and charging system first then move to other accessories

1 - 17 of 17 Posts