Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys. I cleaned the carbs of this newly aquired 1200 last year and today was my first ride after a couple other problems solved.

I notiuice that when cleaning the carbs the anti afterburn valve didnt have a spring as the rebuild kit comes with.

i didnt think anything of it after all the pre owner had no issues or complaints he also never touched the bike himself , it was always taken to a shop.

Todays ride shows that after reving through one gear I have to wait a bit before releasing the clutch into the next gear, so that the engine RPMs drop sufficiently. I am affraid this will end up damaginf my clutch. Too high rpms while going into the next gear is not a good thing.

I will be adding seafoam to the crankcase to resolve the slippage while blipping the throttle to wide open at higway speeds.

I also have a roughness at 4k rpms, it starts missing and not raisning rpms smoothly. Below that i am fine till about 1800 rpm.

Is this all cause of the afterburn valve without a spring or should I just keep adding more miles to clear up the problem.

Quiclk history . the bike sat for 3 years before I aqquired cleaning some really varnished carbs.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

By afterburn valve are you referring to the air cut off valve? If it's the one mounted under the intake plenum it's purpose is to prevent backfiring when letting up on the throttle suddenly when rpms are high. It keeps the mixture in the header too rich to detonate when a closed throttle and high volume of hot air suddenly appear in the headers with the fuel shut off by the closed throttle. One of the more common reasons for rpms to drop too slowly when the throttle is closed is out of sync carbs. It could also be a slight timing error, either ignition or valve, but I'd bet on carb sync needing a tweak.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

thanks EXAVID. I will wait it out a bit as I checked the synch last week and it was nearly perfect without touching anything. MAybe the seafoam worked a bit in the first 60 miles causing my synch to fall off.

i will ride some more before re synching.

My throttle snaps back when I let go buut could there be a dry cable binding somewhere causing ths to happen.

i will check.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.