Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

84 GL1200 Interstate.

Harsh on bumps no matter the air pressure in the front shocks. Dives hard (at least to me) no matter the setting.
When I stop at a light, most times than not, my front suspension holds its position until a release the brake. Then snaps back up level. Never had a bike react this way before. Almost always they return to normal rest when the forward load stops.
Also, when pulling in the garage over the little concrete lip, it seems like the front is stiff, and then all of the sudden goes soft...

Could my anti-dive system be sticking? And what to do to fix it if it is...?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

First thing I'd do is flush and change the fork oil and see if that helps.
Because the caps have to be removed to replace the oil, you can check the springs at the same time.
I run a 20 weight fork oil with standard springs and no air with TRAC set on 4.
If it is the anti dive at fault, the flushing may cure it.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thank you Johno

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

Sounds low on oil. If you have progressive springs(1 pc) they require more oil than stock springs. My 83 did that until I checked their web site for install instructions & found they call for a high amount of oil & heavier grade fork oil over the stock specs. I put them in from my parts bike. With that right made a big difference, don't need to add air now & no bottoming out.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
imported post

Just sent you a PM. My 84 Aspy is doin the same. Gonna keep eye on your post,

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

I will check the levels and see where its at... I am wondering if maybe they are dry... I didn't think about it until I was replying to a pm about the seals leaking, but, I don't see any leakage at all... But that may mean they are dry. When I checked the air in the forks right after I got it, I got a reading of like 50psi... WAAAYY more than the recommended 6psi in the book. I dumped the air. Whether it was a bad reading I don't know, its hard to get a gauge on there straight sometimes. I hope they PO didn't get one by me on this and blew the seals or something like that...

I will keep everyone up to date as to what I find on this. But it may be a while as I am furloughed from the railroad right now and money is an object... ugh!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!!!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It's unlikely that getting a pressure gauge on crooked could cause a reading higher than the actual pressure so I suspect that you do have 50psi or even higher in your forks. It's actually surprising that the seals diidn't blow out. With 50psi at rest when ever the bike hit a bump or the forks compressed the pressure would really have spiked. It may well be that the forks are low on oil, having been forced out with the high pressure. You can drain and refill the forks without removing the fork caps. Just bleed the air out, drain the forks from the bottom drain screw and remove the air fittings from the fork caps. With a vinyl tube attached to a funnel or squeeze bottle you can feed the oil in from the top.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.