Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an anti-freeze leak that is coming from the top of engine. It started as a few drips and would stop when engine warmed up, now it seems to keep leaking when engine is warm. This is a small drip, one drop every 4 or 5 seconds. Does any one have any ideas? would like to know how big of a job i'm looking at. I live in florida so it's not a cold weather problem

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Easiest thing to check is for leaks from the Radiator Overflow Tank (especally the rubber neck).

Next, remove Both fans to reveal the entire cooling system... there's really no way short of this to detect most leaks. Typical locations are the hoses to the radiator and thermostat.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
As stated, check the elbow to the overflow tank first. Very easy, very quick, very common.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, I rebuilt my Carbs. When I removed the carbs from the engine, I found that the two coolent hoses that run to the bottom of the carb where real soft & one of them was leaking. I clipped of roughly .5 to .75 of an inch from the top of the hoses. After everything was put back together, I have no leaks. So if you can't find any leaks from the radiator hose(s), You might have to look under the carbs, which can be a chore to get to.:lash:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
My overflow is leaking...... Every once in a while a small puddle would show up on the garage floor, maybe a teaspoon. one day, I decided to add a little antifreeze to the over flow tank, next thing I know about all I added was on the floor. Don't know if it just spit out the extra or if the actual tank is cracked, which I suspect.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
My overflow is leaking...... Every once in a while a small puddle would show up on the garage floor, maybe a teaspoon. one day, I decided to add a little antifreeze to the over flow tank, next thing I know about all I added was on the floor. Don't know if it just spit out the extra or if the actual tank is cracked, which I suspect.
The tanks don't usually crack, although anything is possible... Are you perhaps overfilling the tank (with engine off and cold)?

On the other hand, if the leak appears when the bike is Running, then likely culprits are the Rubber Neck to the filler tank, and the rubber hose that connects it to the fill tube beneath the radiator cap.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I haven't torn it down yet to see exactly where it's leaking, but I can see the fill line on the overflow. It was about 1/4 of a cup low, no big deal, but I wamted to see if it was the small over flow elbow. As I added the additional antifreeze, it came out as fast as I put it in.

Normally when it leaks, is when we are returning home and we stop the bikes outside the garage, get off, open the garage door then pull the bike inside. By now, the fans have come on so it's at it's warmest. Thats when I notice it the most. I assume antifreeze is at peak temp and pressure inside the engine and it releases into the overflow as it sits there on initial shut off getting hotter. Thats were I thought it was the elbow hose.

I heard a black light will find antifreeze tracks..... is that true?

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
I haven't torn it down yet to see exactly where it's leaking, but I can see the fill line on the overflow. It was about 1/4 of a cup low, no big deal, but I wamted to see if it was the small over flow elbow. As I added the additional antifreeze, it came out as fast as I put it in.

Normally when it leaks, is when we are returning home and we stop the bikes outside the garage, get off, open the garage door then pull the bike inside. By now, the fans have come on so it's at it's warmest. Thats when I notice it the most. I assume antifreeze is at peak temp and pressure inside the engine and it releases into the overflow as it sits there on initial shut off getting hotter. Thats were I thought it was the elbow hose.

I heard a black light will find antifreeze tracks..... is that true?
You can definitely see it with a black lite if you add the dye to the coolant,but if it's leaking that much you should see a telltale trail anyways once you get the plastic stripped off of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.