Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The wing has 70,000 miles. Found an anti-freeze leak on the floor after parking it for the winter.I nevernoticed any leaks during the riding season. The leak last year consisted of about two or three drops. This year the area on the ground was about four inches wide and about twelve inches long. The leak appears to be on the right side (sitting on the bike) of the bike. Anti-freeze is hanging on the right side of the timing belt cover about three inches from the side. Can't see where anything on top of the bike is running down. Unable to find where leak is coming from.Does anyone have any ideas where to look for the leak. Thanks.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum winger327

Do you have a repair manual? How long have you owed the bike and do you know or have the repair history of the bike?

Have you removed the lower fairing plastic to look for the leak?
It could be hoses at the clamps if they have never been tightened.
It could be the reserve tank on the left of the steering, remove the left plastic below the dash in front of the radio shelter. There is a rubber grommet that leaks.
There is a post yesterday on leaks with pictures.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

The rad cap is just above there. Remove the fairing pocket and check the cap as well as the overflow hose where it connects just below the cap. Also there are a few hose connections above that area on the radiators. If you remove the lower fairing and cowl you can access them and check for loose clamps.

·
It aint rocket science
3,924 Posts
imported post

My money is on the right side lower radiator hose. Remove the front lower cowl and take a looks see. If it is from there remove the hose and take the plastic sleeve off the radiator outlet fitting and reinstall the hose.

JD

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
imported post

Just my experience. Clear tape on the outlets caused various leaks at times whether warm or cold.
What year is your wing? My 88 only leaked during the winter and was the thermostat rubber gasket that was very hard after all the years. The fluid was also on top of the motor on the right toward the back and when it leaked enough ran over the timing cover. The only hose that REALLY needed replacing was the one SMALL one that joined the radiators at the top. It was petrified.
I replaced EVERYTHING(hoses, orings, grommet,thermostat, etc.) last year just because i didn't know how bad they would be and now i know that Honda uses good stuff most places. It was time consuming, aggravating and a real pain. DON'T BUY THE NEW HONDA SCREW CLAMPS... JUNK!!! Strip very easy. The OLD ones are made right and are very strong.

·
751 Posts
imported post

Cal-D wrote:
The rad cap is just above there. Remove the fairing pocket and check the cap as well as the overflow hose where it connects just below the cap. Also there are a few hose connections above that area on the radiators. If you remove the lower fairing and cowl you can access them and check for loose clamps.
+1 What Cal-D said My Bike would boil over (purge its self ) Not overheat due to sitting for about a month we here in Colorado don`t have to park our bikes for months at a time any way I would take you radiator cap off & Inspect it the gasket on the cap has a tendancy to weaken & If you still have the original cap on it can weaken over time so take your cap to a bike tech or bike shop he will be able to test your cap if yours is bad then go to napa & get a 703-1406 or Stant 11233 the Oem cap is 13 lbs while the stant or napa is 16 lbs It really does make a differance while your hoses will dryrot & It is possible I would check the obvious first

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.