Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi everyone.

Thanks for the welcome, I am enjoying reading all the posts that come thru the forum and I now have a question for you wise people. I have enquired atmy local Honda shop for some antifreeze without silicon as mentioned in posts I have read. Theshop parts guy pulled a bottle of castrol off the shelf and then rang Castrol to check and it took Castrol half an hour to find out themselves if it had silicon in it and it did. What I would like to know is what does silicon do to my wing motor, the castrol guy wants to know too. This castrol antifreeze is the only one the shop uses so it must be ok for late Hondas. Do you 1800 boys use a silicon product or is this a general wing problem. I know many of you will know and I am keen to hear. Cheers

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

I think you may mean silicates rather than silicon, silicate is to my understanding basically sand, sand is an abrasive and damages the pump and seals.

Nick
Welsh Winger

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Hi Nick

You are right I have reread an old post and it is silicates, now I wonder why any antifreeze would have that in it.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

tunnow wrote:
Hi Nick

You are right I have reread an old post and it is silicates, now I wonder why any antifreeze would have that in it.
"water glass" is an old common name for it... without water it is like sand (for example look at the silicate packages packed with electrical parts) "water glass"is a form of glass that is 100% water soluble... one of the interesting properties is that it will self-seal small leaks as it is exposed to air and heat.. (it goes back to its solid form) and is used extensively in coolants that must be self-sealing.. However, one of the big problems for our wing is when the coolant seeps through the shaft seal, it forms this sand like glass that eventually wears out the seal and causes a failure..most water pump seals are less susceptable than the wing..

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

A very good explanation Jim, I had no idea why they used silicates, but sort of makes sense now.

Nick
Welsh Winger

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
imported post

I use Prestone from wally Worls the one that says all makes of card it is yellow and it dose not have silicates about $10.00 and it make two galons when you have it at 50/50%

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Thanks guys

Iwill recheck the castrol product now that I am on the right track.

Cheers Tunnow

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.