Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know that the antifreeze in a 95 1500 should be silicate free. Neither Peak or Prestone show that information on their bottles one way or the other. Is Peak 50/50 OK for my rig?

Merry Christmas!!

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Antifreeze is about the only thing I go back to mother Honda for. Its already premixed and made for our bikes. I am thinking the 50/50 you are talking about is just regular antifreeze, already mixed with water to a 50% antifreeze, 50% water. Not sure about the silicate free part. I am sure they'd be proud of it and plaster it on the bottle if it was.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

Honda car dealer. Type 2 I think the label says. it is blue/green. Cost about $17.00 a gallon. The right stuff.

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

I have always used the Mother Honda stuff just because it was made for us I don't use any of there other liquids but that Peak looks pretty good....

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Peak states it can be used in all engines and that includes aluminum engines. The silicate in Anti-freeze was went for cat Iron Blocks to help eliminate any deposits.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

I have used many- Peak, Wally-World brand, prestone... As long as it is safe for aluminum it should be good. Though I change it at most every two years, usually every year-- the thought of leaving a 'long-life' in there for a long time (Dex-cool from Chevy said 5 years/150k miles) is scary. I saw a motor that someone did that and there was a lot of junk in the cooling system.

·
Honda Guru
2,054 Posts
imported post

The common factor with all the 'automobile' coolant types is that it's designed for cars. The PEAK LONG LIFE does say that it's silica free so you'd be safe with that. The important thing with any coolant is that it SAYS that it's silica free. If it doesn't say it's SILICA FREE then it isn't.

Being safe for an automobile aluminum engine is very different than being safe for a motorcycle aluminum engine.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

I use walmart supertech
It is silicate free and just as good as any brand
Made by the co that makes Peak. Old world is the company ;)

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

from peak and their recommendations

Thanks for your e-mail. You may want to install PEAK LONGLIFE ANTIFREEZE
in your motorcycle. PEAK LONGLIFE is phosphate as well as silicate free.

Sincerely,

PEAK Tech Dept.

Russell To
Komarnicki/Northbrook/oldworldind owitech/Northbrook/[email protected]
cc
12/12/2011 02:45 PM
Subject
Fw: PEAK E-Mail

Russell Komarnicki
Assistant Marketing Manager
Old World Industries, LLC
Phone: (847)-559-2180
Fax: (847) 664-7180
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

Prestone Long Life does indeed specify that it is Silicate free.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

I'll take yer 100,000 miles and raise ya 25,000 miles

Got over 400,000 miles on a Dodge Cummins to prove it.... :?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.