Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
big PIA
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know this has been in the forums before. I remember everybody says not to use anything with silacates, but what are they? I have looked at diff. brands and none list any thing about silacates being or not being in them.

Sorry if spelling is off.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,575 Posts
imported post

Just use Honda brand coolant and you know you will be OK. The stuff you get at the car dealer is less costly.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

Just go to WalMart and get the SuperTech Blue bottle.

It is silicate free and just as good as anyones antifreeze.

Mix it with 50% Distilled Water.

It is made by the same company that make Peak Antifreeze.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
imported post

Nearly all of the antifreeze products use the same manufacturers' ethylene glycol base, a major producer is Union Carbide. The different brands just add their own colors and additives to the ethylene glycol base.

I read that somewhere, several memory thoughts ago...

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis is correct. If you want the Honda brand, the stuff at the Honda car dealer is the same, but costs less.

Silicates are sand. They sandpaper the inside of your water pump, causing premature failure.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Just use Honda brand coolant and you know you will be OK. The stuff you get at the car dealer is less costly.
That's what I do also. Done. Don't have to think about it.

·
Honda Guru
2,043 Posts
imported post

The basic rules on coolant is:

1. for motorcycles it HAS to be silica free
2. the coolant has to say that it's silica free… or it's not.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

My Prestone Long Life states "silicate free".

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

Tex said it

·
big PIA
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I looked at ingrediants and saw nothing that says silicates, thats why I am asking here, did not see any that that said silicate free eiether. And I was looking at WalMart. I know this question has gotten plenty old thru the years, but needs refreshed now and then.
I will check with Honda dealer as soon as I can, car dealer or bike dealer? or does it matter?

·
big PIA
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Here is what I found about about Super Teck brand and silicate

No it doesn't, the coolant is made by Old World Industries which is Peak Brand, the formula for Super-Tech is basically an OAT which is good for American, Japanese or European vehicles. The MSDS can be found at http://msds.walmartstores.com/cache/339831.pdf which tells you the basic ingredients of the coolant, which is silicate free. Basically you could do a complete flush & fill with this stuff & last just as long & work just as good as the manufacturers recommended coolant. Not all coolants are equal though, some do contain silicates & other ingredients that some manufacturers do not recommend, check this matrix for more info http://www.eetcorp.com/antifreeze/Coolants_matrix.pdf

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_Walmart's_'Super_Tech'_Coolant_contain_silicates#ixzz1ftKjFbFI

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Honda bike dealers SELL ONLY 1 qt SIZE @ $7-$10 DEPENDING ON THE STEALER.(1 gal= $28-$40)
Honda CAR DEALER SELLS 1 Gal @$20

Both types are premixed, no diluting.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Not all Honda dealers are created equal, here the car dealer is more expensive for the same product than the motorcycle dealer.
On a jug of antifreeze it's not that much but it does pay to compare as you should get to know your dealers from your stealers.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

DrifterTex wrote:
My Prestone Long Life states "silicate free".
Yup.....prestone says it right on the jug. Works ok.:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Also you can make antt-freeze by hiding her nightgown...

:cheesygrin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.